Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Lookiong for a good BBQ Baked Beans recipie

anyone help me out please ?
Toronto

Comments

• DMWDMW Posts: 9,246
    I like this one from the BGE website:

My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - Gasser
  • pantsypantspantsypants Posts: 1,191
    oh that looks perfect .
    thanks
    Toronto
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 8,588
    edited February 2014
    I did this recipe once and they were pretty good.  A little sweet for my taste, so if I do them again I will cut back on the sweet by using a BBQ sauce with little sugar (like Stubbs), or cut way back on the brown sugar.   Also...no reason for liquid smoke...in anything...ever!!!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Anybody ever start out with plain old dried beans?  Why would I want to make home made baked beans that start out with "open a can of X brand baked beans"?

The BGE one above is close, as it's just plain canned beans.

• yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    That big green egg recipe is about how I do it (I don't measure, but those it's at least the same ingredient list give or take). I drain the beans really good and rinse them too. I usually add a bit of bourbon when the onions are done, also some mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and a bit of fish sauce.

I usually saute the onions in the D/O on the stove while beans are draining then add it all the ingredients and put in the egg while the main dish is finishing up for anywhere between 30 minutes to a couple hours depending on temp of the egg.
    Dunedin, FL
    yeah i wouldnt use canned beans ,

Toronto
  • DMWDMW Posts: 9,246
    If you have time to get dried beans ready, I would do so.
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - Gasser
  • Here is my default kicked up beans

1 gallon Bush's Baked Beans (drain the juice)

1 1/2 -2 Cups BBQ Sauce

1 Diced Sweet Onion

1 Diced Bell Pepper

Add extra bacon or small amount of pulled pork

Bake for 45 minutes at 400 or until bubbling good

• HDumptyEsqHDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Use great northern beans, soaked over night instead of the canned cannelinis. Do the BGE recipe but add some jalapenos (or Sriracha).

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• We use navy beans here in the GWN

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HDumptyEsqHDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    You could try mixing up several kinds - pintos, navy, northern, black. In fact I might try that myself.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

Hey little Steven , I picked up a can of Heinz pork and beans . Do you know where these kind of beans are grown? Also how do they grow them so sweet and brown and delicious ?
    Toronto
  • No no no! You need Bush's Original!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Did bush grow these beans before or after he was president ?
    Toronto
  • Bush beans has several recipes on their web site. Try bush beans.com
    this was a post from a few weeks ago .
    Since then I have made baked beans twice . both Amazing !!

One was from  BGE the other was from @littleSteven which was also amazing !

They were both very different and great
    Toronto
  • EggheadjoeyEggheadjoey Posts: 20
    edited April 2014
    Here is one that works well for me. I add a diced jalapeño, and you'll see my notes where I sauté the sausage and bacon. I like to use a spicy hot Italian sausage, removed from the casing. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mo3hup4dt84mt5o/Baked Beans Texas Ranger Style.PDF
    Southern by birth, Italian by marriage. Ciao and Roll Tide!