Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Lump in Wal-Mart

Options
dougbacker
dougbacker Posts: 277
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
I see my Wally World now has Cowboy lump, Hope like hell there not dropin RO. Anyone else seen this in theres

--------------------------------------------------------
South Dakota
KBØQBT
Large BGE, 
Mini BGE
36" Blackstone Griddle
Phoenix Gasser
Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Yes, noticed in my local Walmart too.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    That stuff is beyond pathetic!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    yep, they have a bunch of the 20lb bags in mine and only a few 8.8lb bags of RO
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I've had no issues with using Cowboy the last year.  Burns a long time after it gets going.  Have not noticed any weird smells either. Not sure why so many people hate it.  I didn't notice any difference between it and the RO that I have bought at Wallyworld.

My favorite inexpensive lump though has been the Ace Hardware store generic stuff (can't remember the name).  It lights easily and also lasts a long time.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    Yeah, I think Cowboy gets a lot of hate from people who haven't actually used it in the last year or so. Every bag I've gotten has been good. Not great, but definitely not terrible.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    I got back from Lowe's last month and it was just crumbs and dust.....horrible!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I thought about trying a bag for the heck of it and review. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    My last bag had metal bandings in it.  So make sure you take the time to hand place your lump in the egg.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I thought about trying a bag for the heck of it and review. 
    Give it a try.  I have been thru about 10 bags of it and have been pleased with it.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• grussem
    grussem Posts: 120
    Options
    I've used Cowboy and never had any issues with it at all.  The only two I can find around here is Cowboy and Royal Oak, both have worked great for me.
  • jenericzac
    Options
    I just won't buy Cowboy. I have gotten rocks, plywood and chunks of particle board in bags of Cowboy before. Why would I want to give another chance to a brand that sold me such crap before.
  • insaneh
    insaneh Posts: 112
    Options
    I just won't buy Cowboy. I have gotten rocks, plywood and chunks of particle board in bags of Cowboy before. Why would I want to give another chance to a brand that sold me such crap before.
    I heard they used scrap wood. I used a bag with no issues, but didn't buy any more afterwards.
    I've also found rocks in BGE and Wicked Good lump.
    Dead smack in the middle of NH
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    I've used quite a bit of it and it works fine.  Certainly not the quality of Ozark Oak or Rockwood.....definitely smokes a lot more at the outset.  But it's certainly cheaper and gets the job done.  And I've found a few rocks in just about any brand I've used. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I've had 6 or more #20 bags with nice size lump and only thing I found was a plastic rope wrap about 4" lon. I've had rocks and plastic in RO and BGE lump. Have not found Ozark Oak or Rockwood anywhere here in Northeast FL. Have been pleased thus far with Cowboy, RO and BGE. But, I haven't seen much else for choices locally either. I would try it if I found it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Worst thing I found in RO were some rocks.  Pretty benign.  Worst thing I found in Cowboy was fiberglass.  It also burned faster with more ash.

I'll stick to RO, Wicked Warrior when I can get it, and I am OK with Best of the West if that is what I have to use.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys