Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron burgers

Options
2»

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Here is a shot of my raised grate - love this thing . . . . is it grate or grid? whatever.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    cazzy said:
    @NDG It really just depends what you want your finishing temp to be. I stopped roasting mine @110ish cause my goal was a medium - rare plus. I'd only recommend this with meat you grind so you can be in complete control of sanitation. Too many variables with store bought ground beef I do think I like my burgers more medium to medium plus though. It's all preference really. I've only used coarse grind and try to minimally handle the meat and don't over compress the patties. Chuck steak is a standard for burgers. I have read that short ribs, while expensive, make pretty great burgers! Brisket is always good too! Just make sure you have enough fat!
    Makes sense - thanks Cazzy!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    If you don't have a raised grate, you can use your platesetter as the cooking surface to set you CI skillet on. It will work. That what I did. I take my burgers to at least 135 before the sear. Finish temp would be 155 to 160 which is well done.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    NDG said:

now I just have to figure out what kind of meat to grind!  I have only ground my own chuck in the past, but thinking about adding in some brisket or short this time.  I want to keep it somewhat simple (no ox tail, etc) so any suggestions?  

Also, I have always gone with a coarse grind (via my K.A. grinder) but reading on "serious eats burger lab" they suggest a fine grind if grilling.  I think I will go coarse at first and then decide if I want to do a second fine grind - I dont want to over handle them.
    Short ribs and Chuck. Short ribs, Sirloin, and brisket. Both are yum yum.
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    I am going to have to try that with my venison burgers
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Mickey said:
    You are so right man. And I never use a platesetter. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Where did you get a small round cast iron griddle like that?! I've been looking everywhere for one and can't find one anywhere.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    now I just have to figure out what kind of meat to grind!  I have only ground my own chuck in the past, but thinking about adding in some brisket or short this time.  I want to keep it somewhat simple (no ox tail, etc) so any suggestions?  

Also, I have always gone with a coarse grind (via my K.A. grinder) but reading on "serious eats burger lab" they suggest a fine grind if grilling.  I think I will go coarse at first and then decide if I want to do a second fine grind - I dont want to over handle them.

Great minds think alike!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    Mickey said:
    You are so right man. And I never use a platesetter. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    g
    Where did you get a small round cast iron griddle like that?! I've been looking everywhere for one and can't find one anywhere.

Got it for the Mini as it sits on the Mini Woo like made for it. It is by Lodge (9") and most of us get them from Mission Restaurant Supply ( online). Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Options
    I like grinding brisket and adding duck fat, cook to med-med-rare. seared in the skillet is great. 
  • NDG
    Options
    I used around 2.5 lbs of chuck and 1 lb boneless short rib.  The easy reverse sear method worked great.  The cast iron sear created a great crust and the fresh ground meat had an amazing beef flavor . . . so damn juicy!  Vacuum sealed a few bags of meat for later - cant wait to pull those out of the freezer.  

Pic during the rest after the indirect cook - pulled them when internal temp was around 120.

My sister-in-law joined us for dinner - she documented the cook in one cool picture!
    imageI kept mine simple with romaine lettuce, kumato tomato & wickles pickles (the perfect pickle).
    image jumbo zoom shot - why not?
    Columbus, OH

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Dayum @NDG...looks like you nailed those!  I'm ready to lick my screen.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Mickey said:

This is why I have to go to Salado... I would never have considered going without the fire ring. Cool.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Options
    OP.......thanks for teaching me my new favorite way to cook burgers. Made these last night for some friends and everyone loved them. Rubbed with Cowlick and finished with some spicy pimento cheese. Delicious!