Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pot for BGE

Options
I have a cast iron Dutch oven that I use for chili, but it isn't big enough for what I need to make tomorrow. Is there any material I should not use if cooking at 250 for 8 hours? I was thinking about buying a large pot and placing it on the plate setter as always. Please share any thoughts you have because I need to purchase in the morning

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Really tough to say what will stand up to egg cooking. That's why we all use CI DOs. I have a Paderno that says it is oven safe to 400º, but would not use it on my egg. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If a pot is designed for use in a kitchen oven, it should be fine in an egg as long as it's at a temp no higher than the max specified by the manufacturer. I have baked cakes and brownies in Pyrex on the egg. It's just another oven. 

Can't imagine any oven safe pot that won't handle 250°. I would suggest indirect with spacers between the platesetter and the pot. Spacers can be copper plumbing elbows, crumpled up balls of aluminum foil, bricks, rocks, anything that won't burn. You just need that airspace.

You should be able to find a Lodge CI DO locally. Hardware stores often carry them. Cabela's and Bass Pro will surely have them too (if one is nearby). And there's always William$-$onoma and their Le Creu$et. :) 

Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GreenhawK
    Options
    Academy has a line of CI stuff that is significantly less expensive than Lodge.  I have one, and it has done just fine.  They also have a wide verity of stainless steel pots that would work well too if they have one small enough.  Those stainless pots are also designed to have a fire under them, so they should handle being in the egg just fine.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Good question. I also looked at the CI at Academy and found it to be decent. Walmart carries Lodge CI DO, if you want that. Our local store carries the 7 qt and 5 qt.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    From the title of your post I thought at first you were from Colorado or Washington and looking to trade for a BGE. :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    At 250, stainless or Aluminum should be fine, as long as no plastic handles. It will turn dark, so nothing you need to keep "pretty".
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I've got a Magnalite roaster that I can brown with on the stove then put it on the egg and never had any problem. I picked it up on ebay for around $30. No rust and it is lightweight. I've had it for at least 5 years now. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I re-read your post, I wouldn't put any pot directly on a plate setter without some kind of air space. I've done raised direct and used the grate on top the plate setter, but never directly in contact with the plate setter.
  • Mckeanksu
    Mckeanksu Posts: 21
    Options
    I ended up buying a normal pot at Meijer for $30.  It works perfectly, nothing to be scared about.  Bob is right, it was green and is now black.  No big deal though.