Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Meat Slicer Recommendation?

I need to slice my pork bellies.  I see that some people have used the Chef Choice 615 unit.  Are you still happy with it?  Other suggestions?  I've been checking Craigslist for months but the commercial units are $1,000+.  Need something reasonably priced.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

Comments

• My 615 is still going strong a year in. Really like it
    Chicago, Illinois
  • I found a vintage Hobart on Craig's List.  Still was $350, but very well built and cared for.  I love the vintage look and build quality.
    Concord, CA
  • I have the chefs choice 667 going on 4 years and love it
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,567
    Nope. Not so thrilled with it after slicing bacon. Difficult to slice whole pork bellies, at least it was for me. I ended up slicing my pork bellies in half and then using the 615. You end up getting half slices of bacon lenghtwise. It just isn't big enough. I imagine you would have the same problem if you tried to use it for brisket. Works great for small applications, large hunks o' meat...not so much.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,321
    edited January 2014

where are you from? I see stuff like this on CL all the time.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/bfs/4305342312.html  

• I personally make cottage bacon so it is fine for my needs
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 657
    Griffin said:
    Nope. Not so thrilled with it after slicing bacon. Difficult to slice whole pork bellies, at least it was for me. I ended up slicing my pork bellies in half and then using the 615. You end up getting half slices of bacon lenghtwise. It just isn't big enough. I imagine you would have the same problem if you tried to use it for brisket. Works great for small applications, large hunks o' meat...not so much.
    Did it slice the bacon cleanly?

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

• sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 1,269

I'd love to get one, SWMBO will not let me get such a large one.  I need something I can store easily.  By definition, no large slices. :(
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,567
    It did an ok job, I suppose. I'd toss the bacon in the freezer for 20 minutes of so next time and not go straight from the fridge

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BigWaderBigWader Posts: 670

I have a Nella 10inch slicer...

Nella Cutlery

I love it and does a nice job on bacon.  Still need to square up the belly a bit but the slices are long.  There are lots of new 10" slicers in the $200-$400 range on ebay and amazon.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,740
    I just got an Omcan 195s 8" that was from Nella.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,321

I'd love to get one, SWMBO will not let me get such a large one.  I need something I can store easily.  By definition, no large slices. :(
    You could always store it in the garage, a slicer is not something that gets used every day. Also tell her buying used and large that you saved money over new and small.