Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Central Texas BBQ Tour

Options

Comments

• RaleighGuy
    Options
    Wow! Just wow! What a great post. That pic of John at La Barbecue is so cool! Not what I would picture a pit master in Texas to look like.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Wow! Just wow! What a great post. That pic of John at La Barbecue is so cool! Not what I would picture a pit master in Texas to look like.
    @Mickey pretty much has talked me into printing that one and the Franklin Barbecue sign pic, and giving them to the respective parties.  I most definitely will give the Franklin one to Benji.  I'm thinking a metallic print will be awesome for the colors.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    What did you do to the Franklin sign pic in post?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Downloaded it off the Internet. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    What did you do to the Franklin sign pic in post?
    That's an HDR photo so I bracketed 3 different exposures and merged them in post.  I have a tutorial on HDR, but I still haven't gotten through it cause the dude talks so damn much.  This was my first attempt, so while I like it, there is still room for improvement.  Total time was about 20 min so not bad from a time investment.

I'm sure @Hapster knows a lot more about HDR than I do, so maybe he'll chime in.
  • cazzy
    Options
    You headed to Lockhart too?
    Sorry for the late response.  While we wanted to, we didn't make it.  It was probably a good thing, cause there is a lot of history I want to capture there and I wouldn't want to rush the visit.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Caz will you even talk to us low folk in Salado?
    I will talk to everyone except @henapple   Hmm, well I acutally might talk to him.  After he puts all your eggs together, I'm going to have him hand wash my Explorer.   :P
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Wow @cazzy !! What a birthday you had. Great photos and love the stories that went along with them. That is so awesome that they bought your food at Frnaklin's (or it was on the house). Too cool. Happy be-lated birthday from me.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• cazzy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Griffin said:

Wow @cazzy !! What a birthday you had. Great photos and love the stories that went along with them. That is so awesome that they bought your food at Frnaklin's (or it was on the house). Too cool. Happy be-lated birthday from me.

Yeah, it was pretty fantastic! I imagine it was the combination of the two things and they don't regularly hook people up on their birthday. Benji is top notch!

Thanks Griff!
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Are you shooting with a DSLR? You ought to reach out to Daniel Vaughn, barbecue editor at Texas Monthly. He put out a book of BBQ pictures from joints all across Texas. Yours would be perfect for it. He's jokingly called the BBQ Snob. You could be his sidekick, the BBQ Savant.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • cazzy
    Options
    GQuiz said:

Are you shooting with a DSLR? You ought to reach out to Daniel Vaughn, barbecue editor at Texas Monthly. He put out a book of BBQ pictures from joints all across Texas. Yours would be perfect for it. He's jokingly called the BBQ Snob. You could be his sidekick, the BBQ Savant.

They're all with my camera phone. :-\"
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    In which case, cazzy could show him a thing or two.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I've got to say though that your tale about Franklins makes me want to go, since it sounds like the folks there are solid. I usually am morally opposed to waiting 3hrs for food, but maybe I'll make an exception!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Really though @GQuiz I really appreciate all your compliments.  Being honest, these pics are good for us, but they're far from being pro level.  I've only been shooting for 13 months and still have a stupid amount to learn.   :)
  • cazzy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    caliking said:
    I've got to say though that your tale about Franklins makes me want to go, since it sounds like the folks there are solid. I usually am morally opposed to waiting 3hrs for food, but maybe I'll make an exception!
    They are great people.  Every employee there goes out of the way to make your experience even better.  It's almost like they can't believe people line up everyday and are so appreciative that you're willing to wait.  

Without a doubt, you have to do it at least once.  While you're there though, don't overlook stopping at La Barbecue.  Worth a stop for sure!
  • GQuiz
    Options
    @mickey I think you should invite Daniel Vaughn to your Eggfest. Seriously. Check out his stuff at tmbbq.com.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Great writeup! Thanks
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • cazzy
    Options
    In all honesty, I think this is pretty cool!  I know John isn't a celebrity, but he's totally in big name in the Texas BBQ Scene!  

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Happy belated B'day cazzy. Loved your post and pictures. Thanks for sharing your birthday weekend with us, it was one for the books. See ya in Salado.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • andres1987
    Options
    I'm really surprised you didn't like JMMC better, as that is my favorite overall. I have not eaten at La Barbeque and never plan to since they were defaming John Mueller. Love Franklin brisket, but I can't do those waits unless someone else stands in line and I just show up.
    Austin, Texas
  • cazzy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I'm really surprised you didn't like JMMC better, as that is my favorite overall. I have not eaten at La Barbeque and never plan to since they were defaming John Mueller. Love Franklin brisket, but I can't do those waits unless someone else stands in line and I just show up.
    I liked it but it wasn't better than LABBQ or Franklin.  If I only had JMMC, I would probably love it as much as you do.  I would be hard pressed calling something my favorite overall if I didn't experience all ATX has to offer. 

In regards to the defaming comment.  There is a lot of history in that family and multiple sources have said John has burned several of the Muellers for a lot of money...even his dad.  I have a brother who got me for a lot of money, so I totally get it.  I think you need to put yourself in the owners shoes (LeAnn) and understand that she had every right to do what was best for her business.  La Barbecue's popularity shows that she 100% made the right decision.  She gave him an opportunity and he screwed it up...again.  Don't worry about the drama, cause you'll miss out on all the great BBQ all the family is putting out.  Wayne at Louie Miller hates his brother, do you not go there too?  You can also look at it this way, John Lewis makes the BBQ at La Barbecue and he has nothing to do with that drama.

If you still can't stomach going to La Barbecue, I highly suggest doing Franklin once.  You're missing out on some incredible BBQ.  Totally worth the wait!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Bbq drama?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    henapple said:
    Bbq drama?
    Oh, henapple you don't know the half of it.  Major dramas du jour in Austin Q society....  loyalities are very fierce.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    henapple said:
    Bbq drama?
    Oh, henapple you don't know the half of it.  Major dramas du jour in Austin Q society....  loyalities are very fierce.
    That extends to Lockhart as well.  But where this stuff is concerned there probably is no such thing as bad publicity - as long as the bad pub isn't related to bad food.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    Options
    Foghorn said:

henapple said:

Bbq drama?

That extends to Lockhart as well.  But where this stuff is concerned there probably is no such thing as bad publicity - as long as the bad pub isn't related to bad food.

Exactly! Bad publicity will not keep me away from quality BBQ!
  • GQuiz
    Options
    If you want the backstory... http://www.tmbbq.com/of-meat-and-men/

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    great read and great pics
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • henapple