Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Beans & Butt (pic heavy)

boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273

Nothing over the top complicated.   Cooked a pan of beans with a Butt over it for seasoning.   I like to use the foil pans for this cause they can just be trashed when finished. 

imageimageimageimageimage
Cookin in Texas

Comments

• Were these uncooked pintos or canned? Good looking bark on that pork!
  • Outstanding cook. Looks great!
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    edited January 2014

Took the quick route - cans of Ranch Style, drained.   Added chopped onions, jalapenos, tomato paste, and seasonings ( Rub, Worchestire, etc ).    They were under the Butt for about 3.5 + hours.

Thanks for the comment on the bark.   Wife "loves" bark - so barking meat has become a passion.

Cookin in Texas
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,688
    Look's great and now I am hungry!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,451
    Pork n Beans!   Looks aweseome.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WOW
    Fort Mill, SC
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,649
    You didn't invite me?

#-o
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    Looks great.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • DMWDMW Posts: 10,462
    So you put the beans on for the last 3.5 hours or so? That's genius!

My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - Gasser - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle
  • dldawes1dldawes1 Posts: 2,117
    Looks delicious....I've got to try this one now......added to my list.

Thanks,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• ericpericp Posts: 152
    Those beans look awesome. Is it possible to get your quanity of rub, paste etc. I have to try these. Thanks for the great pics
  • tjosbornetjosborne Posts: 468
    yum,wow looks great
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    ericp said:
    Those beans look awesome. Is it possible to get your quanity of rub, paste etc. I have to try these. Thanks for the great pics

I did a small can of tomato paste.  Rub, garlic powder were to taste.   Put a tablespoon in, stir it up really well, let it set a few minutes, then taste it.   See if you want more or not.  Quantity of rub really is dependent on what rub you are using.   I was using some that a friend made at home, was freshly ground and really strong.
    Cookin in Texas
  • maxPowersmaxPowers Posts: 38
    How did you deal with the time to let the butt rest? Did you foil and rest the butt and leave the beans on the egg? I'm going to try this tomorrow and just thinking about timings.
  • maxPowers said:
    How did you deal with the time to let the butt rest? Did you foil and rest the butt and leave the beans on the egg? I'm going to try this tomorrow and just thinking about timings.

This is my question... How long to leave the beans on if you're going to rest the pork in some foil
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • maxPowersmaxPowers Posts: 38
    My butt is on the egg, just need some beans advice before it starts to come out of the stall tomorrow! Night...