Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help - cooking Mahi for the first time

Can someone give me a lip-smackin good recipe and the ins and outs of cooking time/temps, etc?

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    This is one of the things I find the cast iron grate is good for. I just sprinkle some tsunami spin and cook to about 125 internal. Come out great! 
  • direct heat I assume, at what temp do you cook?
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

Yes direct, I get the dome up to about 375 . They don't take long. One thing I have learned is they will stick to the grate if they are not ready to flip. EVO can prevent this.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

I usually blacken it in a cast iron pan.  Dip it in melted butter, coat it with blackening seasoning and cook it hot for about a minute per side.

To me, there is something about blackened mahi that just tastes like it is the way it is supposed to be cooked.  If I eat it any other way it tastes good - but like something is missing.  I don't find that to be true of any other fish even though many of them are good when blackened. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I like to season with S,P, onion powder, and garlic powder. Cook @ 375 til firm. It is a very savory flavor profile. Light on the garlic powder is best.