Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aged NY Strip

Been in Vegas all week and had to try this. It was very good but have had better on the Egg.  On the other hand, I had several customers at dinner who now are going to get Eggs...imageimage
Milton, GA.
l.jpg 36.2K
2.jpg 30.9K

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I ate at Gallagher's in Vegas and I had the same opinion that you did.  It was good but i've made better.  Next time, hit up Craftsteak at MGM Grand it get their Kobe tasting menu.  Best damn meal i've ever had.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited January 2014
    Easy to do dry aging with NY Strip at home. Highly recommend it! Did this one after about 40 days in the fridge. Wish I had their refrigerator though!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho? said:
    Easy to do dry aging with NY Strip at home. Highly recommend it! Did this one after about 40 days in the fridge. Wish I had their refrigerator though!
    I would love to try this! Do you have any information on how you went about it? Knowing my luck I would try it and kill everyone who ate it like a mass cult suicide of beef.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    JGambone said:
    WeberWho? said:
    I would love to try this! Do you have any information on how you went about it? Knowing my luck I would try it and kill everyone who ate it like a mass cult suicide of beef.
    haha, I have thought the same thing.  I am going to learn a little more about this and do it for sure.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    @JGambome

I believe in Stikes method on dry aging. Keep it simple. Throw it in your fridge and forget about it.

I start out by picking up a whole NY Strip at either Costco/Sams. Once at home I take it out of the cryo pack and trim away any hard fat and saving as much fat as possible for dry aging. Wash the whole strip under cold water and pat dry. I then grab a cookie sheet and line the bottom of the cookie sheet with paper towels. After I line the cookie sheet with paper towels I place a cooling rack or something that will keep the steak elevated and off the paper towels when dry aging. You want air to circulate under the steak as it dry ages.

I use my spare beer fridge for the dry aging process. Whatever refrigerator you use make sure it's clean. I recommend washing and cleaning it prior. Don't use any cleaning chemicals that give off an odor and only use what are safe around food. I use soap and water. Cleaning will help reduce any bad mold the steak might pick up and help reduce any funky odors the steak can absorb into it. Also keep food/leftovers sealed tight as it can give off an aroma. So you pretty much want an odorless refrigerator. So my spare fridge works best as it only has beer, bbq sauce, and spare milk most of the time. You want a fridge that you can keep stable in temperature. Your main fridge fluctuates in temp constantly as it is opened many times throughout the day. So a spare fridge makes it a better option. Plus the wife probably doesn't want to see a big chunk of rotting dead meat every time she opens the fridge.

You NEED to have the fridge temp between 32 and 38 degrees. Anything under 32 begins to freeze and stops the process of dry aging and anything over 38 you start to run the risk of bad bacteria growth. The day before I set a stand up thermometer in the fridge so I can get a reading on how the cold the refrigerator is running. From there you can play around with the refrigerator thermostat until you find the temp you're happy with between 32 and 38 degrees. Keep this thermometer in the fridge so you can check and see you are within temp during the aging process. Put steak into fridge and begin!

After the first couple days of dry aging the steak might lose some moisture and begin to leak onto the paper towels. Clean or not you want to remove and discard the paper towels on the cookie sheet after the 2nd or 3rd day. The steak hardens up after a few days in refrigerator and will stop leaking. So no need for any new paper towels. Once the paper towels are removed you can place everything back in the fridge. From here you have the green light. Keep in until your desired length of time. Most say 40 day is the magic number for dry aging. 100% up to you. You should get a light almost like pine scent while it dry ages. You don't want a foul smell as if it's going bad. (obviously) Just check the temp gauge every 3-4-5 days and make sure you are in tolerance for temp.

I pulled the steak out after 40 days. The steak will get a hard outer bark. Some will trim the outer bark while other's wont. Personal preference. I usually cut each steak to a minimum of 1". After cutting into steaks I will vacuum seal and freeze. I typically get 10-12 steaks out of a whole NY Strip. Probably would retail for $200-$250 if purchased dry aged from the butcher. But for $80 and very little work you can do it yourself on the cheap!

I'm far from professional but have had a couple success dry aged attempts. I followed Stikes write ups and pretty much rewording everything he has said but with much less intelligence and fancy science words he uses. It's pretty simple and straight forward procedure. I'm still around drinkin booze and kickin but can understand why it might scare some people away from trying it.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    cazzy said:
    I ate at Gallagher's in Vegas and I had the same opinion that you did.  It was good but i've made better.  Next time, hit up Craftsteak at MGM Grand it get their Kobe tasting menu.  Best damn meal i've ever had.  
    Thanks for the tip, Caz - I will put it on the list for the next time.  I really didn't notice that the steak was all that great being dry aged but it sounded good.  Then again, it could be the beef or how it was prepared.
    Milton, GA.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I agree that I think I can come up with a better steak at home that what I get in most restaurants.

If you live in the DFW area, have you tried Rudolph's Meat Market near downtown.  They seem to always have Dry Aged Prime Strips in stock.

Cookin in Texas
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    @JGambome thanks for that.  do you use a fan in the fridge to circulate the air?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I am 35 days in to a ribeye roast I am going to slice into Ribeyes and cook on February 4th. Excited to see how it turns out.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    I just completed my first age on ribeye roast using the dry bags.  I have to agree with others when they recommend using a second fridge and just leaving it alone with nothing but a date on the calendar.  The dry bag was nice because SWMBO was not as squeamish about it aging in the fridge (48 days).  However, she changed her tune when she saw me trimming off the shrunken bits, getting to the good stuff.  If/when I do it again, I will use my Red Bull mini fridge, or one other than my main refrigerator.  It did leave an odor.  It is an acquired taste.  For my first go around, it was a good experiment.  I will try again, but am probably just as happy with the butcher beef we get around here.

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook