Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how long to cook a 3.2 lb. pork butt

Options
I've got a small, 3.2 lb. pork butt I want to cook for tomorrow's supper. Anyone have any advice on how long this should take to cook? Anything else involved in cooking a small butt?

thanks!

Comments

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options

Probably around 5-6 hours at 225-250.....until internal temp is 195ish.....

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    Did a 5 pounder last weekend at around 300, took 4.5 hours.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    195-205 internal temp is the key for pulled pork.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    TURBO BUTTS. 

·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 hours to internal to 200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!
    ·         Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein )
    .         Note:  The butt box is not required. 
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more. 
    ''''''''''''''
    Bet your 3 pounder is in the 3 to 3.5 hour camp Turbo'ed.
    Be sure and post pic's.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JohnB
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I was mainly trying to figure out whether to do this overnight, so that's settled!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Butts sometimes have a mind of their own. I once bought two 5 pounders and cut one in half as a cook time experiment. Two pieces had bone-in, the third one did not. Put all three pieces in my large (250° dome), expecting the two small ones to be done in half the time. Wrong. All finished in 8-10 hours. I don't remember how long exactly, but the small ones took just as long.

Regardless of size, turbo is quicker of course. One of these days, maybe I'll even try it myself. 
    :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnB
    Options
    I don't use a rub, just salt and pepper. BUT! (no pun intended) I do insert slivers of garlic in the butt, which disappear by the time the pork is pulled, but make it very tasty
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    +1 on what @mickey said

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.