Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

San Diego Egg Table

Options
2»

Comments

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Beautiful woodwork!  That shoulder is sure nice looking also. 
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• JohnnyEnglish
    Options
    Thanks. Surfed this morning on your side of the hill.
  • windnsea26
    Options
    That's a really nice table JohnnyEnglish!  I'm in San Diego too and am trying to find someone locally I can pay to build me one.  I don't have the tools or the time to build one myself.  
    San Diego, CA
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    edited November 2014
    Options

Still trying to pick out a good towel rack for the front. Suggestions?
    I picked these up at the Ikea down by Qualcomm stadium....  they have a number of different sizes and even the longest one is less than 10 bucks.  They have worked well for me.  The only thing I did was use longer wood screws than the ones that came with them.

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    JohnnyEnglish What do you have between egg and the table top? Looks like some seal.
  • UncleFred
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    What do you have between egg and the table top? Looks like some seal.
    On my table, I got a 6 foot long by 1 inch wide strip of alunimum at Home Depot, drilled countersunk holes every 6" and attached it to the inside of the cutout. The 6' length is almost perfect for a 22" circle, just had to trim it a bit.  I think it cost 5 or 6 bucks... maybe 8 bucks total with the wood screws.

It really did give a much more finished look to the top.

• DaveRichardson
    Options

I like the aluminum strip idea.  Think I'll incorporate that!!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• UncleFred
    Options

I like the aluminum strip idea.  Think I'll incorporate that!!!!!

An idea for you on your table top if you haven't started it yet. I made mine from a sheet of 5/8" MDF on a 2x2 frame. I then glued strips of redwood lath down, belt sanded it and applied 4 coats of spar varnish.
    In retrospect, I wasn't very creative when laying down the lath strips.  I could have cut and placed them in a much more interesting pattern. 

Oh ya, on the "table" side of the cart (not shown in the picture)  I inset a 12"x18" piece of marble for a work surface.  I drilled (2) 1" holes underneath it so I could get it out easily for cleaning, and it was thick enough that the top surface is about 3/8" above the redwood so a hot pot, etc. can overhang without scorching.

Got everything at Home Depot.  As I remember the whole top cost me less than $40.
  • Tspud1
    Options
    UncleFred how thick is the aluminum and did you have a small bend at top to over the table? Hard to tell in picture. I am trying to find some material to around the table opening
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hummmm... if I had to guess I'd say1/8, maybe 1/4 inch.  No round over (don't have that capability).  It just occurred to me that if you could find a piece of aluminum channel of the right width you could "snap it' in place.

Here are a few pictures of the build that I still had on my cell phone that might give you a better view of what I did.

Vinyl sheet on bottom shelf for easy clean up... but probably shouldn't have used white!

...the top with aluminum strip and marble inlay

...and lastly the fuel that got me through the project.

• UncleFred
    Options
    Larger versions of pix
  • mcypert09
    Options
    I like your deck, your view of the ocean, your Egg table, your beer selection and beer opener...honestly, I am jealous, you have everything going on!!!

Appleton, WI and Baileys Harbor, WI (Kangaroo Lake)

Grilling and smoking meat year around (even in Frozen Tundra temperatures); tasting and brewing beer - like bourbon and whiskey too; fan of the Green Bay Packers

• BuilderFrank
    Options
    Great looking table!
    And now I have to build me some chairs just like yours. It also looks comfy!
    GJ.
  • Tspud1
    Options
    Thanks for the pics
  • dunwoodyegg
    Options
    I have my project over the holidays.  Thanks for the table sketchup instructions.  
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    the view from your place is unreal