Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small vs. Mini

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, however I wanted to run this up the flagpole with those much more knowledgeable than I am.  I will be adding to my LBGE this Spring.  The main reason is to allow me to cook at different temperatures simultaneously for appetizers and sides.  I also would like some portability, however that is clearly secondary.  I generally cook for 2, however I eat enough to count as another two people, so let's honestly call it 4.

My main reservation on the mini is the capacity.  My main reservation on the small is the portability.  Based on my priorities, I'm leaning toward the small.

Thoughts?
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Based on your last paragraph, I'd say small. Because I favor portability though, I'm getting a mini this spring.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I had similar selection criteria and went with the small. I can pick it up and carry it by myself, so I figured it was portable enough. Happy with what I chose, have been able to do enough protein for an entire meal for my family (me, SWMBO, 11, 9, and 4) during the week. I'm not sure the mini would work for that or not. I also wanted to be able to do a decent size butt for pulled pork and the mini would have been too cramped for my liking.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Thanks, @Jeremiah and @DMW.  It's good to know the small is transportable by one person.  I'm of decidedly average strength, so I'm hoping you aren't a power lifter in your spare time.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Think long and hard about that one. Two (or four) larges is an awesome combination. With that said, both the mini and small can be transported fairly easily. I cook for min 4 every day so mini doesn't see a lot of use. You can do a spatch chicken or a small roast but that's about it for four in one go. Mini makes the best burgers of the lot but you can only fit three.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    According the data sheet the SBGE is 80 lbs, not light, but ccan be done.  that would be like picking up an 8 gallon water jug.
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • TEggSun
    Yep.  I think I can handle that.  The variable will be my intake of hopped beverages.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I figure I'll pull the firebox and fire ring out before transporting anyway so the ceramics don't bang against each other and break. So that decreases the weight. And no, not a power lifter here, I bang keys on a keyboard mostly.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TEggSun
    Makes sense, DMW.  A small seems the best of both worlds for my needs.

• TEggSun
    edited January 2014
    @Little_Steven  I thought about another large, or even a medium, but I really would like to have some level of portability.

• I owned both and recently sold the mini. For me, it was just too small. I use my small for about everything and rarely have to crank up the XL
  • I have a large and small, but I currently live in an apartment so I bought a small for my deck. I love it. I cook for 2-3 people 3 times a week since August when I bought it. Got the small woo for Xmas and wish I would have gotten that much sooner. If you play a little Tetris you can fit a lot on the small for 4-6 people.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • If you are going to stop at just two eggs I would go with the small.  I think the versatility it provides far exceeds that of the mini.  You can always add the mini later to up your "fun factor" even more.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    The small is the perfect size to cook just about anything for 2-3 people and it is still small enough to take camping and tailgating.  Of all the eggs in my fleet, the small gets the most active duty.  The mini is just plain fun to cook on, but I find the extra real estate of the small nice when cooking for two or more.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    +++ on the large/small combo. I bought my small back in August and love it. There are just 2 of us so I can do an entire meal on it if I get ready. I have crammed 5 burgers on it. I will second whoever mention the the woo and stone combo, don't waste your money on the PS. My small sees 90% of our cooks unless it is pizza, low n slow or just to much meat for the small.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • +1 for the Small.  I have a Large and small and I really like the combo.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

• TEggSun
    Wow...thanks, all.  Not only have you confirmed my thoughts, you have given me even more motivation to buy now.  :-)

Perhaps a small now, and a mini in the summer when SWMBO isn't looking.  

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Crap. Now you guys have me leaning to a small.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Get them both you will love both of them.
  • TEggSun
    I think getting them both is the only rational decision.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I cook my mini raised direct in my small.
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Mini is great if only couple steaks,burgers etc.it heats up fast and uses almost 0 lump as everyone else said just limited space.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    TEggSun said:
    Wow...thanks, all.  Not only have you confirmed my thoughts, you have given me even more motivation to buy now.  :-)

Perhaps a small now, and a mini in the summer when SWMBO isn't looking.  
    You're most likely going to end up with a whole clutch of them any way so you might as well grab them both! ;)  I was lurking on this forum for a while before I bought my original large and thought the owners of multiples were nuttier than a pet coon.

After that first large I bought a second large and then a small and a mini.  Just this fall I picked up an XL so the medium is the only one missing from the fleet (besides the XXL and that ain't gonna happen), I think? :D

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Get the Small!!!! I too normally just cook for the 2 or sometimes 3 of us and my small is the work horse in my stable of 4 eggs! If you want portability then spend less than $30 and buy yourself a Pot Lifter like this. That PL makes a small as handy to carry as a duffel bag for one person to handle, but if you have a second person to help you then it is a breeze!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Mini....it just has that "it" factor
    That is all....thanks.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I have had a Small and two Minis. I get 4 burgers, a whole spatchcocked chicken and lots more. I sent one to our guys in Afghanistan that was used for 21 MPs. Now have 2 Larges and a Mini. The Mini gets most of the work. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• EGG_Daddy
    EGG_Daddy Posts: 163
    edited January 2014
    When I bought my large, the store guy picked it up from the nest and man-handled from the store into my truck.  Top and bottom assembled.  What a beast...

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    We got a small for our Christmas present. Got the stone and riser from Tom. We like it. Now have a large and small . I need to build a box, stand combo, but will look into pot lifter..
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • I have both and the mini outperforms any egg. I also have an XL. If you are worried about real estate, go with the small. I haven't seen much love for the 2 Tier Swing Rack for the small from CGW, but I love mine! You can fit a ton of stuff on the small with a 2tsr. It's worth a look.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I'm getting a small next month for portability and hopefully the Egg Carten will be available soon for a home.  @Fred19Flintstone, thanks for the tip on CGW, will probably get that soon too.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    I use my mini more often then I do my small. I would sell my mini before I would sell my small. Mini is just too small if cooking for more than two.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota