Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear Questions.......

Options

OK guys, after some hesitation I think I am ready to try the reverse sear on some steaks.  My steaks of choice will be 1 1/2 cut filets.  So initially I will set up at 300 indirect and cook to 115-120 - correct?  And this typically takes about how long??  I have a thermapen, but how long before I should check them? Then I should take steaks off grill and take off platesetter and get grill to what.....700ish? I sear for 90 secs per side 3 mins total.....is this correct?  Pull at 140-150 for medium?  Do you guys sear at normal grate line or drop just on top of firebox......I have Woo2 so I do have that option (Spider).  I would think sear time would vary whether you go at normal grid line or below. 

Thanks for all help and advise!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options

Also, Ive never used meat thermometer on steak.....always heard to poke and prod your meat you will let juices out....so is this ok with thermapen?

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Since you have the spider, place that in with either a CI Grid or better yet a CI griddle at the beginning of your cook. No need for the platesetter, you won't have to mess with removing it. The CI will heat up during the initial part of the cook and since it is low all you'll need to do for the sear is get it up to 500-600. The pic is a reverse sear of a tri-tip on a CI griddle on the spider. The thermapen is fine to use.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • corey24
    Options
    don't have a CI grid....just have a normal little nickel plated 16 in that fits on spider.

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Not sure,  but I think that the folks that are pulling it off the indirect at 125 are shooting for medium rare at 130.  If you want Medium, that is 140 so I would pull it from the indirect at 135.  The steaks will climb in temp as they rest under Aluminum foil while the grill gets hot.   You don't want to sear too long.  Flip the steaks with tongs but stabbing it with the Thermapen is no big deal.  I try to reuse the same hole.  It beats getting the wrong temp and ruining expensive steaks.   Good luck.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options

I am relatively new, but have done enough Ribeyes to ALMOST master the Reverse Sear.  I have done both the standard sear and the reverse and I prefer the reverse.  You will probably get a mixed set of responses on that, but as I said, my personal pref is the reverse.  You are right on the money with your temps.  For a Reverse, I go Indirect at 300.  It takes 5 min or so a side to bring a 1" to 1 1/2" to a 115 - 120 internal.  Once you get there, pull the steaks and cover with foil.  Remove the platesetter now to save arm hair later.  Also, remember the welding gloves when you pull the platesetter! Put grate back on, open vents and get to 600-ish.  I then use a trick I learned on amazingribs.com (great website by the way)...I use paper towels to dab extra moisture off the steaks that accumulated while they were foiled, baste both sides of the steak in melted, clarified butter and throw them back on that hot egg.  Like you said, it literally only takes about 90 seconds.  If you do the butter trick, the whole steak will have a nice char on it, like a grill mark char, but over the whole surface of the steak...crazy-good!

Also, don't worry too much about putting holes in your steak with the Thermapen.  You are only going to get one or two holes and not many juices are going to escape!

• corey24
    edited January 2014
    Options
    So is that 90 secs per side on the sear?  Do y'all leave lid open or closed for the sear?

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    I keep the lid closed on the sear, helps control temperature and the height of the flames. IMHO keeping the lid open would be like spraying the fire with oxygen. Remember to burp the egg during the sear or you could lose a LOT of hair upon opening.

Cheers!
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • butert
    butert Posts: 202
    Options
    I'm new to the reverse searing process as well, good luck @corey24!

Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.
  • corey24
    Options
    God knows I need to try to keep all the hair I can.....lol