Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket fail after fail after fail

Options
13»

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

Planning on it. The missus is even thinking about coming and she hates fests. Wait for me on Cazzy's hands too will ya?

Sher-bear is talking about coming with me. She doesn't drink so I've warned her...

=))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    That's why mine doesn't like fests. I should have said she doesn't like me at fests

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Got one for Super Bowl, gonna do all kinds of tricks to see what happens this time...
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    henapple said:
    Planning on it. The missus is even thinking about coming and she hates fests. Wait for me on Cazzy's hands too will ya?
    Sher-bear is talking about coming with me. She doesn't drink so I've warned her... =))

Dude, you are asking for trouble on numerous levels.  Once she sees how hard you work for @Mickey she'll be looking for that kind of effort at home... every day... for the rest of your life....

And I suspect that voice in your head is Mickey telling you to get those eggs moved faster.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    @Jimreed777 Awesome videos, really informative, really consolidated and to the point with great explanation, just can't believe he uses ketchup to make bbq sauce, lol, I'm such a ****.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @Jimreed777 Awesome videos, really informative, really consolidated and to the point with great explanation, just can't believe he uses ketchup to make bbq sauce, lol, I'm such a ****.
    While good, it leaves a lot for interpretation of course.  Most of us were pretty disappointed with The Cook video.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I personally learn from watching others, light on the rub, fat up, water in my drip pan, point toward the back where the heat rises from, wrap with paper not foil, best cutting and serving methods.  I got a lot out of the series.
  • cazzy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I personally learn from watching others, light on the rub, fat up, water in my drip pan, point toward the back where the heat rises from, wrap with paper not foil, best cutting and serving methods.  I got a lot out of the series.
    I agree...but you don't cook on a offset so some of that doesn't apply.  Light on the rub because he's using equal parts S&P and it's very easy to over salt.  If you use another rub with a lower salt content, you may end up with bland brisket if you season it light.  Drip pan?  Totally not needed even if it does't hurt.  Point towards where the heat rises...on the egg, the point should go towards the hinge as that is the hot spot on most eggs.  Fat up applies great for a offset as the heat flows over the meat.  Many say it doesn't matter on the egg, but I like fat up after testing both ways.  However that decision was made when I was separating the point from the flat.  

The cooker has a lot to do with it...and cooking on a egg is 90 times different than cooking on a offset.  I love it cause it's a lot less work.  Regardless of everything you read or see concerning someone's method, the fail or success of your brisket starts at the market when you select your meat.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Yeah it did kinda suck that he was using the offset, and yeah it really just affirmed a lot of the great advice that everyone has given here in the forum.  And now that you point out that the drip pan is points, I think I would get better circulation of the heat if I left it out. Just a thought.
  • cazzy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Yeah it did kinda suck that he was using the offset, and yeah it really just affirmed a lot of the great advice that everyone has given here in the forum.  And now that you point out that the drip pan is points, I think I would get better circulation of the heat if I left it out. Just a thought.
    The point of a water pan is to maintain moisture.  That's one of the great thing about the egg is that it maintains moisture, which is why most of our cooked meats are more juicy and have less % volume lost during the cook.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I thought a drip pan was to catch the drippings?
  • cazzy
    Options
    I thought a drip pan was to catch the drippings?
    I meant water pan...corrected now.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    ok, makes sense, I always use a drip pan which kinda takes up some space under my grate preventing air circulation around my cook, I was gonna put water in it to give it a double purpose, now i kinda think if its not a big fatty pork shoulder maybe I can skip the pan and maybe just put some foil on the plate setter, I really only worry cause I don't want any flare up on an over night cook.
  • cazzy
    Options
    ok, makes sense, I always use a drip pan which kinda takes up some space under my grate preventing air circulation around my cook, I was gonna put water in it to give it a double purpose, now i kinda think if its not a big fatty pork shoulder maybe I can skip the pan and maybe just put some foil on the plate setter, I really only worry cause I don't want any flare up on an over night cook.
    I use this for ribs and brisket