Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Beef Tenderloin

Options
TDAuburn
TDAuburn Posts: 14

Hey folks - I am doing my first beef tenderloin tonight.  I am thinking of marinating for a bit (an hour) in worcestershire and Montreal steak rub.  I have a few questions on the cook below:

What is the best wood to use?  Thinking of hickory but open to other ideas.

What is the Trex method?  Is that the best to use?

The tenderloin is 6 pounds fully trimmed - rough guess on how long the cook will take?  How long should I allow for "rest"?

Is 6 pounds enought to serve 10 people?

Any other comments / suggestions welcome!  Thanks! 

Comments

• Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    I reverse seared the last one I did. Cooked to 120 indirect at about 350. Pulled it off and let it rest in foil wrap while I pulled the plate setter and dropped the grid and got LBGE to 650ish. Seared for about 45 seconds then flipped. It was great.

Either tie up the tail or cut it off for steak sammiches.

LBGE

BTFU!

• Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    Can't help on time but I remember it cooked faster than I thought it would.
    Didn't use any wood.

LBGE

BTFU!

• TDAuburn
    Options
    Thanks!  Forgot one questions...should I cook indirect or direct? 
  • margareedaville
    Options
    We did a 4.6 pounder the other night.  Reverse seared to 105, let rest for 20 min in foil... Then cut into steaks then seared at about 800 for around 1 min each...

Came out too dry I think.  My in-laws who love medium well said it was the best they ever had.  I like mine medium rare though, and based on the temp after seared, it should have been medium rare.

I don't think I'll reverse sear another beef tenderloin again.  Next time, I'll cut into steaks first, season with salt, and then just sear the old fashioned way.  Or I might just have a bad Thermapen...
    CC, TX
    1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.
  • margareedaville
    Options
    TDAuburn said:
    Thanks!  Forgot one questions...should I cook indirect or direct? 
    I did our whole beef tenderloin indirect on the reverse sear.
    CC, TX
    1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.