Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another Mozzarella thread...

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
The other day I started a thread that interested some of you. Today I made yet another batch and I swear this was the best results ever! Man-o-man it is tasty! Going to be a great pizza topping tomorrow night. Here is the 1 pound ball I got out of what had been 1 gallon of milk. Note the black line marking the level of whey left behind!

If you bear with me I will add some more perhaps helpful pictures of the process.

Note how the cheese has started to form in the center of the pan and pulled away from the whey on the edge. Key here is to let it be and not break it up. Just stir after the rennet has gone in for about a minute.

Here I am scooping out the cheese in the first stage of separating it from all the whey.

And this was the first of 3 kneading steps between microwave reheats. BTW the gloves are a must! It is hot but not unbearable.

Honestly I wish there was some way you could taste how great this is! I have to stop snacking on it NOW!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Very impressive RRP I'd love to see some pics of the full process, I bet it tastes awesome

=D>
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • RRP
    Options
    Very impressive RRP I'd love to see some pics of the full process, I bet it tastes awesome

=D>

Thanks! Not sure what other pictures I could have added. You merely pour the milk in a Dutch oven, with the critic acid mixed in, bring it to temp, add the rennet, stir, scoop it out, knead it and reheat it a couple times and you're done. That's why it is called 30 minute Mozzeralla.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

I been wanting to try this. What type of rennet are you using?

Thanks

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    RRP said:

=D>

Thanks! Not sure what other pictures I could have added. You merely pour the milk in a Dutch oven, with the critic acid mixed in, bring it to temp, add the rennet, stir, scoop it out, knead it and reheat it a couple times and you're done. That's why it is called 30 minute Mozzeralla.
    Sorry RRP didn't realize it was so simple...well be sure to show a pizza pic of your melted mozzeralla goodness!!!!

Jamie:)
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • RRP
    Options
    smokeyj said:

I been wanting to try this. What type of rennet are you using?

Thanks

I used liquid calf rennet. It only took 1/4 of a teaspoon and is that stuff powerful! The milk starts to coagulate immediately which is part if the reason you mix it with 1/4 cup water to dilute even when pouring it in and mixing quickly!
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping to make some this weekend but I probably have to order the rennet online. Maybe I'll check a few stores tomorrow.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Here are some pics from Ree Drummond. 

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/07/making-fresh-mozzarella/

Someone said rennet is sold at Whole Foods. Also, beer and wine making shops.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Like Carolina Q mentioned Whole Foods. Can be found around the dairy section. You can also find Rennet in a tablet form at Walmart called Junket.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I just made some with @rrp inspiration. Tastes great! Very simple.

I bought a kit from a local home brew, 4 bucks, 4 batches. Uses vegetable rennet.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Forgot pics! I didn't take any in process.

My only advice, squeeze out the whey as much as possible before the first microwave.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • RRP
    Options
    Forgot pics! I didn't take any in process. My only advice, squeeze out the whey as much as possible before the first microwave.

Glad you liked it! I see by your picture you nailed that final sheen! Enjoy!