Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Amazon Prime - I need convinced

Sell me on the benefits of signing up. I can't really get a good feel from the limited info I see on the website. Is it a good investment and what makes it so?
LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
Columbus IN

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Travis and others I've talked to love it. Do you order a lot from amazon? There's also the movies and books.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Free 2 day shipping. And they have a service like Netflix that is included... And you will not have to go to a shopping center. I love it. Worth every penny. I would pay even more.

I buy everything off of Amazon.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• I am slowly starting to order more and more. I am kind of a touch it, feel it, buy it kind of guy so I mostly have bought things that I can't pick up easily locally. Is the movie service updated with pretty current movies?
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Definitely worth it. Free 2 day shipping and Amazon Instant Video. I split it with a friend and we buy all our stuff of the same account.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Free 2 day shipping(well, 89 bucks per year) if you do a lot of shipping from Amazon it's great. It paid for itself in one holiday season. Instant video is nice too. Lots of shows are are free although the selection is limited.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't know, man. I get free shipping for most Amazon things, albeit, not 2 day. Don't use Netflix or other such service. And I haven't been to a shopping center in forever. I'm good without Prime.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Amazon prime is worth it just for hte shipping.  Since Dec1 I probably have saved 200+ on shipping charges

Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Amazon is going to bump there price threshold up to get free shipping soon. I order breastmilk bags and diapers monthly for the kids. It's nice because it's typically "oh crap, we're nearly out" and they appear quickly. I get a discount on subscribe and save with prime as well. I guess I'm a little spoiled and enjoy the nearly instant gratification of prime. I'm also a Zappos VIP - that's even better. Free next day shipping, fee free. I get all my CDs through it too.
  • It will also serve as your membership when Amazon opens up its brick-and-morter stores this year to compete with Costco and Sam's
    Pentwater, MI
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited January 2014

I bit the bullet two years ago but I do buy a lot of stuff on Amazon and the Prime has paid for its self. Just watch though and look through the different venders. Some are fulfilled by Amazon and get two day shipping and some are not. Usually you can find an item that ships for a similar price but it is not two day and it can take awhile. I am impatient. There are times I have ordered late Thursday and got the item Saturday morning. If I am in a real hurry and it is worth it I use the next day shipping for $3.99. That can really be a big plus on large items that are pricey. Using one day shipping there are things I ordered on Friday around 4pm and got them in my mail box by noon the next day.

Before you know it they will be dropping packages by drones on my front lawn same day. Amazing.

• For sure worth it. I have it for free but would still have it if I had to pay
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    It will also serve as your membership when Amazon opens up its brick-and-morter stores this year to compete with Costco and Sam's
    wow, didn't know about that. I have it and will keep it anyway but this is I nice perk as long as they open one near me. wonder if they'll have prime meats :D
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Had it for the last few years, and love it. Don't forget you can stream videos with with the prime membership. Works like netflix.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,869
    edited January 2014
    I don't know, man. I get free shipping for most Amazon things, albeit, not 2 day. Don't use Netflix or other such service. And I haven't been to a shopping center in forever. I'm good without Prime.
    Y

I'm with you, Michael. I order about every two months and not necessarily in large dollar amounts. OTOH I did order a $500 TV from them in December. BTW I ordered it 4:20 PM on a Friday and it was here at 9:15 AM Monday morning! I don't have Prime and don't believe it is needed. My personal belief is Amazon knows they have a GREAT reputation for not charging your credit card until whatever is shipped...so the quicker they ship the quicker they can charge! I laugh when I select the FREE shipping option like I did with that TV knowing good and well whatever I am ordering will be here in 2 or 3 days anyway! Save your money!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    We have Prime and it is definitely worth the price. The free 2-Day shipping is a main draw, as is Amazon Instant Video. You also get some free books if you own a Kindle, which we both do. They have a completely different level of customer service for their Prime members. My Maverick remote thermometer stopped reading accurately. I called and spoke with a customer service rep and she told me to contact Maverick for warranty, but in the meantime, since I was a Prime member, she'd go ahead and overnight me another ET-732 so I wouldn't be without one while waiting on a warranty claim. I've experience numerous other positive encounters that have made me very loyal to Amazon. The only two memberships I have and support are Amazon and REI, and they are both worth it.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • henapple
    I'm waiting for a prime brisket delivered by a drone in 30 minutes.
  • RRP
    henapple said:

Raw or done?
  • Hungry Joe
    henapple said:
    Now you have me looking on Amazon for brisket. That is what 6 homebrews will do to a man on Thursday evening.
  • henapple
    RRP said:

henapple said:

Raw or done?

Still breathing. ..
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    cazzy said:

Definitely worth it. Free 2 day shipping and Amazon Instant Video. I split it with a friend and we buy all our stuff of the same account.

This is the way I do it. Free shipping and split the cost, you just can't beat it.

NW IOWA
  • Hungry Joe
    henapple said:
    henapple said:

Raw or done?
    Still breathing. ..
    That drone better not fly over my house cause I'd be eat'n good.
  • RRP
    you want to re-think that reply and edit before it is sealed in time forever? I mean flying cows just might poop mid flight...
    henapple said:
    henapple said:

Raw or done?
    Still breathing. ..
    That drone better not fly over my house cause I'd be eat'n good.

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236

+1 for Amazon Prime. Be careful though - you might become addicted to buying crap you don't "really" need. If anything, I like to scan bar codes of items in the store to see if Prime has a better price (plus the free shipping). Most of the time Prime wins.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Eggcelsior
    RRP said:

Y

I'm with you, Michael. I order about every two months and not necessarily in large dollar amounts. OTOH I did order a $500 TV from them in December. BTW I ordered it 4:20 PM on a Friday and it was here at 9:15 AM Monday morning! I don't have Prime and don't believe it is needed. My personal belief is Amazon knows they have a GREAT reputation for not charging your credit card until whatever is shipped...so the quicker they ship the quicker they can charge! I laugh when I select the FREE shipping option like I did with that TV knowing good and well whatever I am ordering will be here in 2 or 3 days anyway! Save your money!

I can understand why it may not be worth it if you order every few months. I'm ordering stuff weekly at times. In terms of quickness, I suppose it depends on how close you live to one of their distribution centers. The nearest one to me is in Tennessee, I believe. That stuff usually takes 3-5 days non-prime(Many companies have centers here, I suppose due to the proximity to FedEx/UPS and tax incentives.) I like the guarantee of no more than 2 says.
  • Hungry Joe
    edited January 2014

Now I have more to worry about then geese flying overhead.

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Also if you sign up for monthly ( or some time interval every 2months) deliveries of five items or more you can save up to 20%. I vote for it as we will be renewing ours at the end of the month.
  • I like prime a lot. Probably only worth it if u order from Amazon often. I did get 40lbs of lump charcoal with 2 day shipping for free with it.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I have been prime for several years and feel it is well worth it.  I buy all kinds of stuff there - lots you cannot find on the shelf locally.  Probably 2 times a month anyways.  THis week it was curing salt, food saver bags, and a knife sharpener (Thanks @Cen Tex Smoker  Have also used the overnight for $3.99 option for business - you can't beat it.  The streaming video is worth it too.  Some movies they have free for prime members are still $4-5 through the cable co or Apple TV.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Don't do it. Its the only thing on the internet that's spends my money faster than this forum. I have bought over 100 things in the last year off amazon and have not watched one movie and I don't read books without pictures and I will renew for sure. So glad they don't sell eggs.
  • Eggcelsior
    Lit said:

Don't do it. Its the only thing on the internet that's spends my money faster than this forum. I have bought over 100 things in the last year off amazon and have not watched one movie and I don't read books without pictures and I will renew for sure. So glad they don't sell eggs.

Could you imagine? We'd all be like Little Steven.