Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket burned the bottom along 2/3's of the flat

Options
Hi, I'm not sure what went wrong, so was hoping for some suggestions.

I took a 13 lb Choice brisket and trimmed it to about 1/4", removed the normal hard fat parts per Franklin's BBQ videos.  Also just used salt and pepper (which turned out nicely I must say).  I stuck the Maverick horizontally, centered through the thick part of the flat just under where it meets the point.

Also, I was looking at the Big Tim ?something? article that says to coat parts of the grill with HD foil to account for the gaps in the 3 sides of the plate setter..  I put a big roasting pan on top of the plate setter such that some foil bits underneath raised it about half an inch away from the platesetter -- so no direct contact of the pan to the platesetter.  Grill went on top of that.  Filled it up with hot water, then set the brisket fat side up such that the point was pointing towards the back of the grill, which is where one leg of the platesetter was aligned.  The thinnest part of the flat was on top of some of that foil whcih covered the part of the grill in that area, and definitely that was positioned over the gap in the plate setter at the front of the Egg..

Maverick said the grill temp never went over 260, and it got as low as 210 about 6 hours later.  I opened it up and it stabilized at 250 for another 5 hours, never going above 252 or below 244.  Now, I pulled at 210.  Thermapen said that it was about 210 at that thin part of the flat and 190 at the point, with the rest of the flat around 200-210.  The end of the flat is a little dry but not too bad.  The point is great.  There is no burning towards the point on the bottom of the meat, just the 1/2-2/3 of the flat towards the thin end.  The burning/tough layer is about 1/2-1/3" thick.

What should I do?  I have to cook another one tonight.  This was a test for the real cook which goes to feed a bday party tomorrow evening.

Thanks!

Comments

• grok
    grok Posts: 32
    Options
    Oh forgot, after pulling, I wrapped it in butcher paper and set it at the bottom of a small cooler with a fleece blanket on top.  It sat there for 4.5 hours.
  • grok
    grok Posts: 32
    Options
    fyi the pan was dry, though there was fat in it.. I am leaning towards making sure the pan reaches long enough to sit underneath the thin part of the flat, and than maybe orient the platesetter rotated differently, and then also rotate the meat and refill the pan at some point during the cook.  I don't have a raised grid unfortunately.

Maybe filling with charcoal midway to the fire ring was unnecessary and contributed to this?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I alway use 2 layers of foil, shiny side down underneath any meat exposed over the ps
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TheShaytoon
    Options

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options

It sounds like you are on the right track.  The flat is easy enough to dry out so anything you can do to really ensure it is not getting any extra heat or direct heat is a step in the right direction.  Good luck tonight.  Take some pics and let us know how it goes.  Ideally, you have identified an issue - and its solution - so the brisket tonight will turn out perfect.  That's why you did the practice run.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Foghorn. ..I wouldn't trust foggy. .he's skipping salado.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    I wouldn't trust me either. I'm not one of the brisket gurus here. But at this point nobody else has offered up anything better so he has no choice.

I only chimed in so be has someone to blame if it doesn't work out. :D

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX