Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Day Off = A batch of Jerky

Options
The higher-ups told me to take a day, so I think its time to pull out the new PitMaster IQ120 & give it a good 1st test run on my XL.

Just got through loading up my racks with the meat I marinated for a little over 24hrs. I had about 5 1/2lbs weighed meat and didn't quite get it all to fit on my 4 racks. Depending on if I use my BGE rack with this setup, I might get it all on the 5th rack. I was hoping to only have 4 levels of racks on this cook that I could slide in and out throughout the cook to keep them rotated. I just won't be able to rotate the 1 rack ... no biggie.

Time to go build my fire! Thinking I might set the IQ120 up for 160 degrees. Can't wait to see it in action.
My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax

Comments

• RickyBobby
    Options
    Here is my AR setup with the 4 levels of grids. I also placed some Jerky on my Eggs grid before setting my AR over it.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    THE STAR OF THE SHOW!

.... my new PitMaster IQ120
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Thanks how is your fire able to keep 160 what's the setup? Can't recall if I struggled yo keep that low of temps when I did jerky.

Cut of beef?
    Seattle, WA
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Well, how I built my fire was a big debate for myself. I ended up using Lump from a previous cook and did not use or add any new Lump. Rockwood Lump for anyone wondering. Piled it up in center of my firebox and made a small depression right in the top, center of the pile. Then I took 4 seperate, good size pieces of Lump and set them out on the ground in a small pile. Lit these 4 pieces using my mapp torch and got them glowing red hot and made sure they were completely burning. Then I scooped up the hot lump and quickly placed them in the pile inside my Egg where I had left the small depression. I then very quickly placed my round plate setter and drip pan in bottom, threw on my standard rack, and then set my AR on top of this. I hurried and closed my lid and then immediately plugged in my PitMaster IQ120. I wanted the PitMaster to bring the temp up to 160 degrees instead of me trying to. It seemed to work out very well! The PitMaster IQ120 did not overshoot the temp at all. I was impressed! Now, the real test will be to see if I have any issues with my fire being snuffed out over a long period of time. This is all kinda new to me ... never tried running at this low of a temp.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    .... as for the cuts of meat 1 ~ rib roast 1 ~ arm roast 1 ~ chuck roast I dug them all outta the bottom of my freezer a couple days ago. :D After trimming fat & cutting my Jerky slices; I wound up with about 5 1/2lbs of Jerky.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks like you are off to a great start. Can't wait to see the final product and what you think of the IQ120

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• RickyBobby
    Options
    Jerky is Yummy! I have TONS of confidence in my new IQ120 now too! Love the Lid Open Detect feature. Pretty cool!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    What marinated did you use? Look's great.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks fantastic!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    RAC said:
    What marinated did you use? Look's great.

I actually found a packet of BackWoods (LEM) seasoning in my cabinet. Not sure where it come from but I figured I would use it up. Next batch I will try just a 1 part Worscershire sauce and 1 part Soy Sauce mixture with maybe just a dash of some other selected seasonings. The BackWoods is pretty tasty, but I'd rather mix it myself than buy the seasoning.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Nice.... Looks A+
    Seattle, WA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great, I need to do my next batch of jerky on my egg.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker