Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

My new granite top egg table

This is my XL egg table built out of cedar, with a storage drawer and granite top. I like the way it turned out. What do you think.

Comments

• tcampbelltcampbell Posts: 646
    Beautiful. That is nice
  • GATravellerGATraveller Posts: 3,167
    Very nice.  Looks well made.
    "They don't love themselves so they can't love no one else"
    -Peter Tosh

Peachtree Corners, GA
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,577
    Nice
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tcampbelltcampbell Posts: 646
    Did u build it
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    looks good
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • insanehinsaneh Posts: 112
    Very nice.
    A little green here. I'm waiting for spring to build mine.
    Dead smack in the middle of NH
  • Great looking table!
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 12,624
    I like the way it turned out as well. Love the "pop" from the warmth of the wood contrasting with the granite.
  • CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    edited January 2014
    beautiful  nice job I love the granite now you can put hot stuff right on top of your table with no worries 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • It looks great!

I just got my cedar table constructed over the weekend but due to the weather I was unable to get it stained.

What did you use to finish it?  I love the way the stain brings out the grain and colors.

I also like the idea of a full width drawer!  Is there any gaps in the shelf, where the egg sits, that would allow weather and/or ash to drop into the drawer?

Mickey
    Western NC Egger since January 2014

• Yeah I like that!
    Nowhere Indiana
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 501
    Sweet!

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Beautiful
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,688
    Awesome table!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Excellent table, nice job.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • jhl192jhl192 Posts: 1,002
    edited January 2014
    That is a beauty!  Congrats!  How do you prevent water from dripping into the draws during the rain?  i.e. between the slats in the bottom shelve.  Are you counting on the granite top to limit the water or is there a shield.  I would love to add a drawer but I have 1/4" openings on my top table slats and the bottom ones as well.  I was thinking about a shield to divert the water behind the drawer.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • BotchBotch Posts: 4,499
    Great job, Steve!   :-bd

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • Ok thanks for all the responses. This is my first time on this site so I hope these comments are going to the people that asked the ?s. I put the boards above the drawer tight together. To keep a much water out as possible. The same goes foe the drawer bottom. Water can run through it a little bit. I also built the table the same size as the one you can buy from the big green egg, and bought the standard cover. I try to keep it covered when not in use. The granite top also stops a lot of water. If it's uncovered in a rain, it stays pretty dry under the top. I used a clear Cabot oil siding and deck stain on the cedar. I attached a picture of the stain can.
  • GoVolsGoVols Posts: 206
    Nice !!
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • jccbone62jccbone62 Posts: 208
    Very nice!
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • 4Runner4Runner Posts: 2,762
    Very nice. Any issues rolling it on those stones?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • I had 3" casters on the table at first. I changed them to 5" and that works.
  • Nice work. How do you clean the ash with that recessed lower vent? I had a table built with a granite top too, but in the end I steered away from the circle cutout in the granite and went with a less attractive "U" opening so that I could more easily access the lower vent for cleaning.