Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First SV Cook

Got an Anova for Christmas and decided to break it in with a steak.imagePrime NY Strip in the bath at 130* for 4.5 hours then seared on the Egg. Served with roasted potatoes and sprouts. As advertised, the SV gives medium rare (or whatever your desired temp) bumper to bumper with a nice crust from the sear. Fantastic meal!imageFollowed up by some grilled pineapple with DP Pineapple Head
Bloomfield, NJ

Comments

• LitLit Posts: 6,259
    That steak and plated pic look amazing.
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,814
    Nice, the colour of the steak is incredible. 

Did you do the sprouts SV? Has become SWMBO's favourite. Skillet three strips of bacon 'till crispy, remove and set aside. Paper thin sliced garlic gets browned in the bacon fat, add about a tablespoon of butter and pour over a pound of sprouts. SV at 86ºC for about an hour, remove and brown on a 450ºF egg. Serve with the bacon crumbled. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 8,797
    Steak looks beautiful! How long did you sear for, and what was the IT when you were done? I made SV steak once and it was good, but I think it could be better.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • minniemohminniemoh Posts: 1,863
    Nice, the colour of the steak is incredible. 

Did you do the sprouts SV? Has become SWMBO's favourite. Skillet three strips of bacon 'till crispy, remove and set aside. Paper thin sliced garlic gets browned in the bacon fat, add about a tablespoon of butter and pour over a pound of sprouts. SV at 86ºC for about an hour, remove and brown on a 450ºF egg. Serve with the bacon crumbled. 
    Those sprouts sound amazing! I guess I need to get a SV now...
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • TFolsTFols Posts: 234
    @Lit thanks, tasted great!

@Skiddymarker, thanks! I brushed on some melted butter with DP Raising The Steaks. Always gives a nice crust. The sprouts were just sautéed in a CI skillet with EVO, S&P.

@Cali, seared for 1 min then rotated for another min then flipped. I checked IT at this point and it still was 130. Didn't check final but it was a perfect MR.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 8,797
    Thanks for the info. I'm new to SV and still trying to figure out the times and temps. When i did some ribeyes at 132°F x 5hrs, and then seared a minute each side, the IT was just  about 130°. But the steaks had a nice edge to edge med-rare colour, texture, and flavor. I was a little surprised since med-rare is supposed to 135°F.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.