Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Egg or not To Egg?

JimE
JimE Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, Egg People:[p]I need help. I just discovered you all three days ago, right after buying a cheap but serviceable charcoal grill/smoker w/ offset firbox at a home improvement center. I have read every word on every page at biggreenegg.com and I feel that an egg is in my future. The question is, when? Here's what I need to cook: salmon w/ garlic/pepper/molasses glaze smoked over alder; ribs; pork shoulder; brisket; steak--okay, all of it, but the salmon and ribs are really important. 200 to 250 degrees is a must. I'll need to feed 6-10 people. Do I return El Cheapo and pony up for a large egg, or do I wait? Any caveats, egg-wise?[p]I'll apppreciate any advice.[p]Thanks,[p]Jim [p]

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Jim,
    i just got back from the egg dealer, placed my order for a second egg. If my wife had come home with anything but a bge it wouldn't make it out of the box. definately send it back. If you're cooking for that many people on a regular basis i think i'ld get an xl, if occasionally the large small combo would be better.HTH[p]Scott

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    dpnwsalmon.jpg
    <p />Jim,
    You will find that an Egg is probably easier to control and a whole lot more versatile than the offset smoker you bought. If you can spring for the money, I'd take the other one back and go for a large Egg. I routinely smoke salmon over alder. See the photo for my Panko Encrusted Dizzy Pig Ragin' River Salmon. The Egg can do it all from slow smoking to high temp rip roaring steak searing.
    TNW

[ul][li]The Recipe For Naked Whiz/Dizzy Pig Panko Encrusted Salmon[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]Man, that is some BAD looking Salmon![p]Tar Heel
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Jim,[p]Watch out. This is -- no kidding -- a life-changing decision. After you get an Egg, you will do a LOT more of the cooking in your family. When you go out to eat, you will never be satisfied with the food.[p]Moist, flaky, smoky salmon. Tender, deeply flavorful ribs. Perfectly charred flame-kissed steaks. Crispy smoked/grilled chicken. Etc. Etc.[p]Fair warning.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Tar Heel Smokey Mon,
    You bet! It was awesome. The only thing I caution is that the panko crumbs help the butter/maple syrup cling to the fish, so you need to hold back if you don't want a really sweet end product. It's also good without the maple and butter, just with panko and rub.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    hi Jim,
    Prof Dan & the rest are right. I used to be a regular resturant goer. Now it's just ocasionally for Thai or Italian.
    Most resturant food just doesn't measure up and you can forget about steak houses, even the good/expensive ones.
    I was so impressed with my first egg I bought a second.
    You won't be disappointed.
    bruce

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Jim,
    I have 2 larges and a small and would never look back.

• tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Jim, you can't go wrong with an egg as indicated below. My second Egg convinced me to buy my third Egg.... Food is totally different, much more moist, more flavor, you will not be sorry. Read through the archives and you will get an idea of how addictive and different food is that comes out of this type cooker.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Jim,[p]I just thought I would add to what everyone has said. The egg is truly a life changing thing. I last week bought my third egg and cook 3-4 nights a week (on one or more of the eggs).[p]You will find temp control simple and food GREAT![p]Smokey
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Jim,[p]Almost three years ago I was in your shoes, but I had bought a $800 stainless gasser from Costco. What a mistake. I took it back after 3 months when all the letters peeled off.[p]Now I have 4 eggs (two larges, 1 small, 1 mini) and I use them almost every night I am in town. I've competed at cookoffs and my brisket placed 2nd last year out of 110 entries. When I go to a steak house, I order fish.[p]Yesterday was wonderful pork loin rubbed with Dizzy Pig Ragin River that everyone raved over and today, I'm doing Sea Scallops.[p]Take the offset back and get an egg collection.[p]Resistance is Futile. You will be eggsimilated![p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • locolongball
    locolongball Posts: 414
    Jim,[p]LOL! I did the same darn thing...don't worry...they'll take it back.. Tell them you thought you could use Lump in it, when if fact you can only use wood... [p]I took mine back and 4 weeks later got an egg.