Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How will gasket affect temps?

Options
Last week my egg froze shut for the 1st time. While seperating it the gasket ripped off in several spots. Is this going to keep me from cooking at 225-275* temps? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Lots of folks have no gasket. You'll be fine.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Really depends on the gap (or not) between dome and base as that could be an air supply source.  I'm sure you won't have any problems with the temp range you mention although I would guess your vent and dfmt settings will be different than you are used to for that temp all other things about the same.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I'm not in the camp that say's you'll be fine without a gasket.  The thing was built with a gasket and will not function as well without one.  I replaced mine with the BGE high heat gasket when I did a high temp burn.  It was easy.
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I assumed I would be good to go I will just need to find my vent settings. Guess I'm making some pulled pork for tommorow.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    You'll be fine but you will see a change in lump useage. I went without a gasket for 3-4 months and when I replaced it with a Rutland I used way less lump.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    I had a hard time keeping temps below 300 when I went gasketless for a few months on my XL
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Some folks go without a gasket, the reason I like it is to avoid that chunk when I drop the dome down and having a good gasket provides a better seal around grid and food probe cables, if you use an external thermo. Replacing the gasket is not a tough job and there are a variety of choices. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    I plan on changing it ASAP. I've been held up by sub zero temps and rain. It's not something I'm looking forward to so I'd prefer do it in better weather.
  • EggoMatic
    EggoMatic Posts: 130
    Options
    I switched my original gasket to a rutland yesterday. It was pretty simple to do. Getting ready to fire it up for a test run.
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    You'll be fine but you will see a change in lump useage. I went without a gasket for 3-4 months and when I replaced it with a Rutland I used way less lump.
    +1 I waited until nice weather to change mine and was shocked at how little lump I was using when I finally replaced it with a high temp gasket vs the months without one. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.