Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My plan for ribs tomorrow

Options
Newbie with first attempt at ribs. Picking up 3 racks of baby backs tonight cause wife wants BBs. Tomorrow, I'll remove from fridge about 30 minutes before cooking, apply vegetable oil lightly and coat with Bad Byron's Butt Rub (cause that's what I have). Heat BGE to 225 and add 3-4 apple wood chunks. Put drip pan on plate setter and add apple juice and water to pan. Put ribs on cooking grid bone side down (or V-rack???), close dome and smoke for 2 hours. Remove, wrap in HD aluminum foil with Parkay margarine, honey and apple juice, close up and place back on grill bone side up for one hour. Take out of foil and place back on grill bone side down for one hour, or until internal temp is 190, or bend test tells me they are done. Paint with sauce about 10-15 minutes before removing from egg.
Ok, since this is my first rub smoke, do you see any red flags? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    r2davis65  it seems to me you got this under control it sounds like you have done your homework  follow your plan and you will be eating awesome ribs !!remember to take photos and post them so we can see them 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    sounds good , although Wrapping them may not be necessary . I think with wrapping them you gamble loosing great bark .
    I have had success with ribs many times and never wrapped them . . Also no need for a v rack .
    If you have the room to put them down then do that .
    The bend test works !!  No need to  rely on a 190 for these

oh and also post pics and let us know how it goes !!

Toronto
  • calracefan
    Options
    Not to say your plan won't work, because it will but I don't foil and I don't use any liquid in the drip pan. Use some foil balls to space your drip pan off the platesetter (air gap) . I usually pull the membrane from the ribs prior to cooking. Don't sweat the temp too much, your egg ( or at least mine) finds where it is happy, usually 250-275 .Enjoy !!!!
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • r2davis65
    r2davis65 Posts: 148
    Options
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    What size egg do you have?  On a large egg, I find that 3 full slabs doesn't really fit without a V-rack.  I have seen it done in pics...but maybe we have bigger pigs in my area :).  Usually I can only get a full rack across the grid in the very center. 

I would bump the temp up to at least 250, and consider going 3 hours, 1 in foil, 1 more out of foil. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2014
    Options
    There were done and very good last weekend. Like Pants said use the bend test. These took 110 mins. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options

Mickey said:
    There were done and very good last weekend. Like Pants said use the bend test. These took 110 mins. image

............and now i will be cooking ribs this weekend
    Toronto
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Your plan will work... Personally I don't foil mine. Hey don't miss the opportunity. If you're doing 3 racks try different ways Foil one, don't foil one, use oil on one and try yellow mustard on one. See which ones you like
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • r2davis65
    Options
    Smoky, I have the large egg. Might be right about the space. I plan on cutting the slabs in half and placing them around. If it fills up, I'll save rest for next day.
  • r2davis65
    Options
    SmokinDawg, I'll take that suggestion about trying different styles. Thanks.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Sounds great.  The only thing I would do is bump my temp up to 250-270* range.  Good luck with the cook....BBs are great on the Egg, one of my favorites.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Run to lowe's and get a small weber grid and 4-5 bolts, nuts and washers...make a raised 2nd level. 2 racks on the bottom and 1 on top. Your plan looks good.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Remember to slice then parallel to the bone!  :D
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.