Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommended Stuff

I don't want a whole room full of egg accessories, but what do you all consider the must haves? Thanks.

Homewood, AL
Lg BGE, Green Weber Performer, Green Weber Genesis

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Thermapen and AR with slide guides and extender.Love my propane torch too!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    What @canman1976 said.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    +1 on thermapen.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Thermapen

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Thermapen and AR with slide guides and extender.Love my propane torch too!!!
    +2

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Thermapen is a must have. Also a good remote thermometer like the Maverick ET-732. Besides that, I love my Mapp torch to light the Egg and small, compact Craftsman Shop Vac to clean it out.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Plate setter ,cast iron grid , thermopen ,Vrack and if you want to get a little out of control a BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Hugh que fire grate,smokehouse stainless cap the list goes on and on and on.......lol
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    As you can see, its not about WANTING a room full of eggcessories. You WILL end up with that roomful of stuff :)

The number one thing IMO is a reliable instant thermometer, like the Thermapen or some other offerings from Thermoworks. Cooking to (internal) temp, not time will up your game exponentially. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Plate setter and a good pair of gloves
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    #1 with a bullet is a thermapen or a similar quality instant read thermometer. This has improved my cooking in the kitchen and outside.  Nothing helps a cook better then knowing exactly where he/she stands when it comes to food temps. 

Other then that it depends on how you are going to use your egg and what kinds of cooks you are going to do.  I like what at @mickey said in another thread that I believe was your welcome post.  You will get 5 different answers and 4 of them would be right. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    tcampbell said:
    Plate setter and a good pair of gloves

Besides Thermapen, +1 on gloves, preferably welders gloves that go up the arm a ways! Nice to have for the inevitable time you forget about the possibility of flashback!

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Beer...use the thermapen to check for maximum coolness.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited January 2014
    Gloves, cast iron skillet, AR, thermapen, Maverick, Betty Crocker cookbook, and a nice apron.
    Dunedin, FL
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    For me, the adjustable rig, stone and grid extended first and thermapen second. Just my opinion though.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    A huge cabinet to store all your stuff in, cause you're going to get a bunch of Eggcessories!

I'd start with the Thermopen
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I'm with Charlesmaneri but I would swap out the BBQ Guru for a Pizza Stone.  I believe you need to learn how to do it manually first without the fancy automation.  Nothing breeds success like failure.  Good luck.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Thermopen changed how I cook.  Then, plate setter, pizza stone, some type of way to raise the cooking grid up into the dome for raised direct, then a Maverick ET wireless therm with the smoke and meat probes was very helpful on low and slow cooks, a weed burner and propane tank for quick and easy lighing of the Egg, and so on and so on.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • I have a good all clad instant read thermo now (another gift), but I will look into the Thermapen.  Have the gloves and plate setter.  Right now I just want to get it together and get cooking.  Work and the weather are not helping.

Thanks

Homewood, AL
    Lg BGE, Green Weber Performer, Green Weber Genesis