Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

changing the gasket

Options
Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Could you guys offer a fellow some advice on removing the top of the egg? I'm changing my gasket and need to remove the top. It is a spring loaded model. I'm looking for the easiest way to access the rear of the top to clean and then replace the gasket.
Thanks so much!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    dawgtired,
    Can't you just loosen the bolt and lift the lid out of the straps? Of course, you should do something like tie a rope through the two handles in front so the hinge can't open while you have the top out. That's what I did on my small which is spring loaded.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • locolongball
    locolongball Posts: 414
    Options
    dawgtired,[p]I just replaced mine last weekend and I did what the whiz said to do... Loosen the top band and lift it out. The band will not pop up on you unless you push it up.
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    As the Church Lady would say,"..Nevermind". After I left the post, I went back outside and looked at the rings instead of the spring mechanism. Jeez, I didn't graduate for Georgia Tech, but you would think I would be able to look and think,"..uhm, boy, if I loosen this one screw".
    Thanks for the replies anyway.
    Whiz, by the way, I went to HT today to get the new lump to try on some ribs manana. Thanks for the suggestion.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan