Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plan to try ribs this weekend

Options
Will be only my second cook. Tried chicken last weekend with mixed results but want to cook some babyback ribs on Saturday. What's your advice on cooking temp and methodology after membrane is removed and rub applied?

Comments

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited January 2014
    Options

Do BB ribs quite often and have found the 2-1-2 method to be the best:

2 hours unwrapped

1 hour wrapped in foil adding apple juice, Parkay, brown sugar or beer or any of the above

2 hours unwrapped....add sauce the last hour if wanted.

I usually go in the 250-270 range and they are perfect.  oh, and indirect of course and usually mix in some hickory chunks in the lump and sometimes combine it with apple or cherry.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Pretty similar here. I go 250 for a little over 2 hours. Foil for an hour or so then sauce lightly and finish out of foil for half an hour to 45 minutes or so. I used to completely shut down the egg the last 30 minutes or so but someone posted it may leave an off taste with the dying fire so now I just close down the top and bottom vents until they are just slightly open the last stage. Works for me and have had consistent results doing it this way.
    XL BGE
  • Gooey1
    Gooey1 Posts: 96
    Options
    The wife likes fall off the bone ribs so 3:2:1 indirect is what I do at 250. 3 hours on the rib rack 2 hours in foil with a bit of apple juice. 1 hour back out of the foil to firm them up a bit. Sauce with 30 min. Left. Good Luck.
    "Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes............. Well, he eats you"
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Go with St Louis style instead....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I usually do St Louis style, 275 indirect until the pass the bend test or I poke with a toothpick into the meat between the bones. When it slides in with little or no resistance they are done.
  • Dbro15
    Dbro15 Posts: 5
    Options
    Great thread! I will be doing my first ribs this weekend as well. Thx for the pointers everyone.
  • r2davis65
    r2davis65 Posts: 148
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice. Appreciate the help.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    One other thing I liked to do before I found my method...on each cook try different spices, rubs, rib types and even methods. Bb with Stubbs rub and Sticky Fingers Memphis style....St Louis style with a Midwest combo. Gives the family options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    I pretty much do the turbo method. Pull membrane, rub with your favorite rub and let them sit in the fridge 2-24 hours, then indirect 375 for 1.5 - 2 hrs until they past the bend test.  This will not produce the fall of the bone style ribs, we like them with a little pull.  Good Luck.
    Edina, MN