Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Auber Instruments

Options
Anyone have this temp controller? Never thought I'd be interested in one but it seems to do what the BBQ Guru does for about 1/2 cost.

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Don't forget the Pitmaster IQ110 & 120 as well.

http://www.pitmasteriq.com

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I have one. It's alright. Doesn't like the cold very much here in MN. It will read error if too cold outside. Works just fine if I wrap it in a towel when cold. Wires can be a little fragile but most are. I've had mine around 4 years now with no major issues. It's about as basic as it gets. Nothing fancy but wasn't looking for anything super nice. Found it for $99 and well worth it for overnight cooks and long smokes. It's a cheap babysitter for the price
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I liked mine ok for years but was a bit frustrated with it. It would overshoot the target temp and the fan would keep blowing, then it would drop below then overshoot. Like a yo-yo. It would eventually stabilize sometime overnight and would always be at 250 in the morning when I woke up, but it was still frustrating. Much prefer my Flame Boss, but it costs more. You do get more bells and whistles, but not as much as the really high dollar ones.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokinTiger81
    Options

I have the auber that cost about $150.  I have been very pleased with it on lo and slo, and even used on Thanksgiving turkey to free up time while doing other cooking tasks.  I have not had problems others have mentioned

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have it and like it, also I have dealt with their service rep, great customer service.

I usually get my egg at the temp I want and then turn it on with no issues.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I have one and it works fine. You have to keep the dome shut or it might overshoot at times. The P/S got itermittent. Found replacements on Amazon for 18 cents. Bought extra probes for 5 bucksish each. But I've gone turbo now and don't use it as much.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have one and it has been fine. I use it overnight for a nice sleep and also to hold temp for ribs
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • qprhooligan
    Options
    I have one and I love it for low and slow cooks that go overnight. I set it and forget it.