Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold smoking bacon

Im trying for the 1st time i salt cured the belly for a week now I have it in the my Egg cold smoking and I mean cold the dome thermometer isn't ever registering I'm going to let it smoke over night with sugar maple pellets in the A-Maze-N-smoker will post pics in the morning
2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
Long Island N.Y.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice, just curious what temp you have in there with just the heat from the A-MAZE-N-smoker in these temps.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    There really should be no temp build up with this smoker.  I did almonds last weekend and the temp gauge didn't budge.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• DMW
    QDude said:
    There really should be no temp build up with this smoker.  I did almonds last weekend and the temp gauge didn't budge.
    Right, what I meant was, would it be able to keep the egg temp above freezing when ambient temps overnight will be well below freezing. If the bacon is frozen, I doubt it will take much smoke.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Charles, are you going to slow cook the bacon after you cold smoke it? Example - 200 F dome, indirect to 150F for the bacon?
    Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 
  • No ,no slow cook just slice and fry up and serve with eggs
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Here it is imageimageimage
    Long Island N.Y.
  • DMW
    Looks great!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    That looks wonderful. Enjoy your breakfast.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• I am doing the same thing just picked up the maze and 10 pounds of sugar maple pellets. Did you use any curing salt. Mine has been marinating since Monday feel like smoking it today but it is straight up -11 right now and going to be dropping soon.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • Justacookin yes I used curing salt along with brown sugar,kosher salt fresh ground nutmeg and crushed black pepper and some crumpled bay leaves in a zip lock bag in the fridge for a week flipping every day all I can say is it"s the best BACON I have ever eaten oh and I used sugar maple smoking pellets 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Thanks Charles. I picked up the sugar maple pellets also I have never used pellets b4 or sugar maple. I used the curing salt also I did brown sugar, kosher salt and maple syrup.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • Justacookin    this was the 1st time I have ever used pellets  and I have to say I was very pleased with the outcome 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Looks great.  How long did you smoke it for?
    Clayton, NC

Large BGE, Mini BGE, Two Weimaraners
  • BoomerTheWeim  not exactly sure I filled the A-Maze-N-smoker lit it and let it go all night when I got up in the morning it was done smoking so I don't know when it burned out if I had to guess I would say 12 hours 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    BoomerTheWeim  not exactly sure I filled the A-Maze-N-smoker lit it and let it go all night when I got up in the morning it was done smoking so I don't know when it burned out if I had to guess I would say 12 hours 
    I did the same with mine but the smoker went out a couple of times. Re-lit once
    and probably got 5 hours of smoke. IT was good though!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks good. I'll be ordering my Maze tomorrow and gonna get started on some bacon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Little Steven
    I did a 2.7 kg belly Grif. That's roughly six pounds. Didn't last a week. Just sooooo much better.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven  mine burned all the way to the end this morning when I look I had nothing but ash in the A-Maze-N-Smoker  I was pretty surprised to be honest I don't know if it was because I was using Sugar Maple as opposed to fruit wood 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    I used sugar maple too. I have the rest of the bag in a bowl in a cupboard. I'm thinking it was a little damp out of the bag. Either that or I didn't have the vents open enough. I was quite happy with the smoke flavor though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven I had my bottom vent wide open including the screen and I had my Smokewear stainless top on and wide open .I had my smoke pellets in the cardboard box they were shipped in about 4 or 5 feet away from my wood burning stove so maybe the heat from the wood stove helped dry the pellets out I don't know but I lit it and thats that it burned out completely nothing but ash in the morning 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    I left the vents the way they were for the low and slow I did last. Probably the problem. Good to know.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited January 2014
    If you mix a little bit if hickory pellets with your maple,,,say a 1/4 pound of hickory to a pound of sugar maple you should not worry about the amaze going out on you. The hickory burns a bit hotter than the maple. This mix will still give you the maple flavor with just a tad bit of hickory,,but more maple  I have started to use a mix of hickory/cherry/maple pellets and the bacon turned out the best.
    I'm curing some vanilla Bourbon bacon right know and will smoke it Sat. I load the amaze up and let it go all the way. About 11 hours. With all hickory it will last about 10 hours because the hickory burns hotter and a bit faster than a mix or all maple or a fruit wood.
    What I have learned about smoking bacon It does not matter which wood you use or which recipe you use,,,It always is the best you have ever tasted. They are all good!!!
    I started using lumberjack pellets from Hayward Wisc and I m going to stick with them and actually toss out about 10 pounds of the trager pellets. The lumberjack gives me a whole lot better taste and more smoke with no ash after my burn.
    Maybe I will save my trager pellets and toss a handful on my lump when cooking steaks. That might be pretty good now that I think about it :)
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Let us know on the vanilla bourbon bacon, would love to hear how it turns out
  • I have no doubt it will turn out great. They always do. Have not had a bad bacon experience yet :)
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg