Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help with decision

Options
Really want to get a stoker but have questions. I have watched the videos but cannot find anything with the newest model......help! 
Also the step 4 and 5 video's from Robert Mongeon on utube state that you need to have a seperate router....not sure why that would be if setting it up wireless, we already have a router and wireless wifi inside our home. Was this because of the old style unit?  I was hoping to be able to use the stoker and take my Galaxy tab 3 or my Galaxy S4 phone across the street or on an errand and still have access. Also need a recommendation on probe lengths. I really wish there was a new video with the complete set up out there....

Comments

• nocartilagehere
    Options
    You can use the wifi router you already have and are using in your house.

You will need to enable port forwarding to access the stoker from outside of you network( i.e. anytime your phone/tablet/device is not connected to the same wifi router).

Probe length depends on where your stoker will be in relation to your egg. 6ft should be plenty if the stoker is on a table near the egg.
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    Thanks for the help. Curious if you have any experience running the stoker off samsung galaxy products such as the tab3 and s4 phone? have heard they can be hard setups.
  • nocartilagehere
    nocartilagehere Posts: 5
    edited January 2014
    Options
    The stoker has a built-in web server. It can be accessed on any device with network capabity. It uses an IP address which is like a web page. If you know the correct ip and connected to the internet, you can access the stoker. The problem usually lies within the network configuration (router settings) and is not related to the device or stoker. The most difficult part is port forwarding for out of network access and is highly dependent on your router.

I do access the stoker using my nexus 7 tablet, iPad and iPhone 4S/5s.