Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big BANG Theory

Options
Keefer
Keefer Posts: 120
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
I grilled a couple porterhouse steaks for New Years. They were really good served with squashed red potatoes and asparagus. I cooked them to 125 internal at 325 direct on a raised grid. I then used the reverse sear method with a cast iron grid for about 90 seconds on each side at 650 for a perfect 'medium'. Just as I was taking them off the egg - there was a really big BANG! I though for sure the egg had cracked. It was pretty cold outside - maybe 25 degrees. Later with a flashlight I could not find any cracks. What in the world made that that noise that scared the daylights out of me? (My theory is that it had something to do with the bands) I guess I need pics or it didn't happen - right? image

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Check your firering when things cool down. I had a similar bang here during a pizza cooks and the next day discovered a crack in my fire ring.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    Meat and taters look amazing!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice cook. It's under warranty.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    Options
    Thanks - I will be sure to check the firebox next time I cook. If its just cracked - should I worry about it unit it completely fails?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I doubt it will be the firebox, more likely the firering. The firebox has an expansion crack already built in. The firering does not.

As long as its not shattered you should be fine to continue using it. When my firering cracked it was a nice clean crack. I used it several times before I had a chance to get it replaced under warranty with no problem.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeffroe189
    Options
    Im using a cracked fire ring and will continue to until mine is completely useless. Mine only has a hair line crack on one side. I have a brand new one in the box waiting. 
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone