Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to light the egg?

Options
2»

Comments

• nick_banich
    Options
    My father in law got me a LoofLighter for XMas. He had a Primo and swears by that method to light his lump. I hadn't seen much about it, but it sounds like the consensus on this thread is that it's a solid piece of gear if you have it.
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Looftlighter here. Would highly reccommend - worth the price in the long run. Here's a pic from my first ever cook using the Looflighter,

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• nick_banich
    Options
    fence0407 said:

Looftlighter here. Would highly reccommend - worth the price in the long run. Here's a pic from my first ever cook using the Looflighter,

Man look at the color of that Virgin Egg

-Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Why are people worried about how fast they can start a fire when they are willing to wait all day for something to cook?  I know I am a newbie, but why the need for speed?  I'd say use something cheap or accessible.  I built my own chimney starter with a big old coffee can, and use it to light egg no problemo.  Takes about 5 minutes until the coals are ready to dump in the egg.  

If you can be cooking in a very few min's after work it means using the Egg more on week nights. Also I never do long cooks, that's why the Egg Gods invented Turbo. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Another vote for the Looftlighter.
    Southern California
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Mapp torch
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    I did use the starter blocks when I first got my egg. I then found lighting from below with the block produced the fastest full load of liy charcoal.

The wife got me a looftlighter for Xmas. I've used it once so far and am in love! I lit a small amount and of charcoal on the bottom and layered more on top. Works pretty well. I look forward to messing around and finding the best way.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Bge electric or soaked oil paper towels. Electric is too easy.
    Seattle, WA
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Propane torch is my weapon of choice.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I have a map torch and its glorious .
    I also use it to light my fireplace .
    also if you have an amaz-smoke  you would want something  to start it besides cube starters and oil on papertowel

I love the torch and it really saves a ton of time for weekday cooks .
    Toronto
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Sometimes you just feel the need, the need for speed.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I've found this works pretty well if you are not in a hurry.
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Have been happy with the electric lighter. Will try the paper towels/oil method.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    dihtn said:

Have been happy with the electric lighter. Will try the paper towels/oil method.

I was happy with that method.. until I left my starter in too long, LOL
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    Tjcoley said:

I've found this works pretty well if you are not in a hurry.

The old Cody Lundin method!
    Nowhere Indiana
  • JerkChicken
    Options
    +1 

91% alcohol.

I don't see why people go to these extremes to light charcoal when you can use the alcohol just like you would lighter fluid, set it and forget it. Walk inside and prep my food. No devices, no plug in, no hose or tank etc....
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    8 minutes after lighting a few oil soaked paper towels through the bottom vent - standard grate.  Dome temp at 500 - outside temp at 16 degrees.  While not what I consider a 'stable' Egg, good enough for a quick burger grill.  Light Egg to table in less than 20 minutes.