Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Curing" without pink salt

Options
I wanted to try salt-curing and smoking a fresh ham on the BGE.  I basically prepared a strong brine, added brown sugar and aromatics, and brined the ham for four days.  I rinsed and dried the ham, then hot-smoked it at about 200-225*F for three hours.  I then glazed the hell out of it, and kept smoking it until the internal hit 155*F.  I chilled it, sliced it, and served it.

It was tasty!  The only problem was that the pieces of meat closer to the bone were far more like pork than ham, meaning (I think) that my salt "cure" had not penetrated as deeply as I would have hoped.  I want to give it another try.

I figure my options are:

(1)  Brine for longer, maybe 6-8 days or more;
(2)  Inject the brine as well as submerging the ham;
(3)  Chill the ham overnight after brining, but before smoking, to allow the smoke to penetrate further;
(4)  Break down and cure it with pink salt (I'd really prefer not to do this).

I know that some of you will say "just do (4), nothing wrong with pink salt," and you'll likely have very compelling reasons for that.  What I'm mostly interested in is if some combination of (1), (2), and/or (3) would get me the result I want.  If not, I'll assume (4) is the way to go, by default.

Thanks in advance.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    The only way I know to get that ham flavor all the way (the ham color too) is to use pink salt. It's also a great bet against food-borne bacteria. How big the ham was will dictate the length of brine, but 6 days + will do no harm and a day for pellicle formation, dry in the fridge but rinse it well first.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    The only way I know to get that ham flavor all the way (the ham color too) is to use pink salt. It's also a great bet against food-borne bacteria. How big the ham was will dictate the length of brine, but 6 days + will do no harm and a day for pellicle formation, dry in the fridge but rinse it well first.
    Are you saying the dye from the pink salt colours the meat?

Steve 

Caledon, ON