Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Intro

Options
Just introducing myself after lurking a few months...got too jealous of my father in law and his fantastic meals so after a few years of watching this I broke down and rewarded myself with a LBGE, nice table and nice array of eggsessories to get started.  Probably not much for most of you but I work 60+hrs/wk and it only took me about 3 weeks to burn a bag of lump already...thats a lot of cooking for me.  I wasn't aware that I would need to also purchase a deep freezer to store all the meat that we have...and BTW..its only me and my wife....so food overload!  Off to a good start so far with some chickens, a great 12lb turkey, did some ribs and wings yesterday to welcome the new year.  Look forward to learning and future discussions..and of course..here are some pics!

Comments

• vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95
    Options
    Welcome to the group!  I am new to the forum and the large BGE, too.  It is a lot of fun.  Ribs are my next project!
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Welcome, it looks like you are off to a good start.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Welcome - looks like you are past the learning curve.  Nice cooks.
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Welcome - some good looking food there.  Where you from?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Congrats and welcome
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• cam05210
    Options
    Thanks...for the welcomes..I'm in Charlotte (Go Panthers!!)  So quick question...when I did the ribs/wings this weekend, I virtually started with a fresh fire box and loaded it almost to the top, plus cleaned out the ash, however, most of the lump I used was small pieces from the bottom of the bag...is this why I couldn't get the temp above 300 no matter how wide open I let it go?  I had the bottom vent 2/3rds open and the big portion of the daisy wheel open 1/3rd and it wouldn't rise for anything...guess it was good I didn't need it to. I think it has to do with the small pieces not getting great air if I had to guess...no worries as I picked up 2 fresh bags today.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    You could be right. Anything under 350 is almost always less than a 3/4 inch bottom vent opening and the top vent a 1/4 inch open. I have an XL. Good luck let us know if bigger lump helps?
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Cam, try a wiggle stick through the lower vents to poke through those clogged holes for better airflow, is my guess. Welcome Cam and Vchelf.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    welcome to the eggdiction well it looks as you off to a great start keep the Pics coming and keep cooking ,remember it always enjoy  because if you not enjoying it's to much like work !!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Auburntgr
    Options
    Small lump always plugs the holes on the grate for me. I save the small lump for when I open a new bag and place it on top of the large new lump. When the airflow is restricted with the small lump higher temperatures are very difficult to achieve.
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg