Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I got a couple of those pre-made thin pizza crusts from the store...

Options
is a pizza stone needed or advised with this type of crust?  image
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I've never done the thin and crispy variety but that's my son's favorite crust for pizza. Whether I make dough or not. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    I used the thin before. I just threw it directly on grates with plate setter in and they turned out good.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I use em all the time...With the ps legs up.and a stone raised about 2 in above the feltline... I also use parchment for about 5 min...then pull the parchment for another 5 or so..
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • calracefan
    Options
    I also have cooked these,I used the stone just as if it were fresh dough. They cook pretty fast being so thin.

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    They are great.  You probably already know how to cook pizza your way, but I use these crusts with:
    • A regular pizza stone on top of cooking grid on top of plate setter.  
    • Get the temp high (450+) and make sure to monitor the pizza closely or you can burn it. 
    • I just put some corn meal on the wood peel under the pizza and it transfers over to the stone. 
    • Also pre-heat the stone. 
    Now that I got an AR for Christmas I may change this strategy but I know it works well as is.    Enjoy. 

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Thanks guys. going to make some pizza today if it ever stops raining
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    I'd maybe add some 1/2" copper tees under your pizza stone.  I plan on doing that next pizza cook.  I put our pizza stone right on top of PS and the bottom of the pizza was a little more burnt(black) than we wanted.  Others have suggested the copper tees in between PS and pizza stone gives some air circulation and less burning like I experienced.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    I use these crusts all the time.  Plate setter, legs up, grate, pizza stone on the grate.  Make sure to let the stone get hot.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    demo said:
    I use these crusts all the time.  Plate setter, legs up, grate, pizza stone on the grate.  Make sure to let the stone get hot.
    That's what I did, they are good crusts.  My wife and kids loved it and it was way easier than making my own dough. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Timbo66
    Timbo66 Posts: 109
    Options
    I made two last night with the same crust. Turned out great.
    Large Egg, Warner Robins,Ga