Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket mishap

krobertsmsn
krobertsmsn Posts: 655
edited January 2014 in EggHead Forum
:( :((

LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• Oops!
    Alan in LA (Lower Alabama that is)
    "If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!" 
  • Is this covered under warranty? Did a pork butt 225-250 21/2 hrs, then 350ish the remaining time. Dome temp jumped to 450 at one point BRIEFLY, after I tweaked temp too much.    :((
    Rome, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    As I stated in the other post, yes, if under 1 year.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Don't waste your time with a BGE gasket, free or not. You will fry that one too. Get some Rutland gasket material, 5/8" wide, flat ribbon, not rope. RRP sells it with instructions. Also,get some Permatex Ultra Copper for the adhesive. Comes in a tube from any hardware or auto parts store. Mine is over 4 years old and has been thru many pizza cooks, some as high as 900° (not a typo). It's a little dirty now, but otherwise, good as new. RRP's is even older than mine. Oh, and it only has to be installed on the base or top, not both.

This pic is fairly recent...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thank you!
    Rome, GA
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234

Don't waste your time with a BGE gasket, free or not. You will fry that one too. Get some Rutland gasket material, 5/8" wide, flat ribbon, not rope. RRP sells it with instructions. Also,get some Permatex Ultra Copper for the adhesive. Comes in a tube from any hardware or auto parts store. Mine is over 4 years old and has been thru many pizza cooks, some as high as 900° (not a typo). It's a little dirty now, but otherwise, good as new. RRP's is even older than mine. Oh, and it only has to be installed on the base or top, not both.

Are these difficult to install?

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    dihtn said:

Are these difficult to install?
    No, it's a piece of cake to put on.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Carolina Q
    Nope. Plus Ron sends instructions.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I followed RRP's instructions to install one on my large; if I can, you can!
    ;)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Zuma
    Zuma Posts: 50
    Who do I contact to get this Rutland gasket?  Ron has instructions?  Website or phone no.?  Thanks in advance.  
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    @RRP on this forum

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    shtgunal3 said:
    @RRP on this forum
    Thanks shtgunal3 and CarolinaQ! I have already heard from and replied to Zuma!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • @RRP Please share how I obtain this please. TIA

Others may also want one, otherwise I would have PM you.
    Rome, GA
  • Carolina Q
    That is how you get one. PM Ron. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    @RRP Please share how I obtain this please. TIA

Others may also want one, otherwise I would have PM you.

I reply to all PM sent me via this forum, but if you wish to contact me direct then my email with the spaces removed of course is: r o n . p a t @ c o m c a s t . n e t Note the dot between the n and p there is somebody somewhere who has the identical address except without that dot. My reply to all initial contacts consists of what you will get, what the prices are and a general description of what the process entails. Then if my not for profit offer is acceptable we have another conversation and I ship the next day and that shipment includes a 2 paged detailed set of instructions and hints. BTW I have been doing this since 2002.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Yep, @RRP is da man!  I have his Rutland on my large, and it's great.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RRP
    jaydub58 said:
    Yep, @RRP is da man!  I have his Rutland on my large, and it's great.
    LOL - thanks man...I try...and I'm just 10 away from 1,000 gaskets sold as a not for profit service.
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited January 2014
    Just ordered for all 3 eggs...Thanks for this service Ron!
    Rome, GA