Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to Turkey

Options
Did two 12 lb turkeys so far.  Indirect on V rack.  Both had delicious breasts but underdone thighs.  Even tried icing the breasts.  Will the spatchcock method on open grid cure this problem ?

Frustrated !!

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Spatchcock turkey is the easiest turkey I have ever cooked. I like to cook it raised direct at about 400*, it will generally cook in bout 1hr 45mins or so. I see where you iced the breast on your whole bird. Did you have the thighs toward the hinge on the egg?? That is the natural hot spot. Someone (I think @caliking) mentioned turning the plate setter where the wide open area was also inline with the hinge so more heat will come through around the thighs. The position of the PS legs would be at 10-2-6 as you face the egg.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Like Matt said: 400 Direct / Raised..... No Ice needed on spatchcock.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• momeyd
    momeyd Posts: 10
    Options
    Spatchcock rules !!!  Great results.