Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning cast iron grate

Options
bamafan62
bamafan62 Posts: 137
   Grilled hamburgers last night.  Lots of grease on the grate.  How do you clean the grate to feel comfortable that the next cook you will contact some dreaded disease.  Thanks for your input.

Phil

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Heat. Without plate setter. Sometimes I'll throw my grates on my gasser to burn off
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    burn the grate clean !!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    I use a wire brush to get the big chunks, followed by a steel wool scrubber brush while the grill is still warm. Let it cool a little more, and wipe down with a paper towel saturated with canola oil. Done! Works for me.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I never clean them. Just be sure they are on the Egg at the next crank up..... Oh, I don't use CI, but if I did I would do just like my SS.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    light grill for next cook, get it up to temp for cooking, light scrape to bust the loose stuff off, toss on meat and cook. if theres rust and it will show on the food like white fish i might put some oil on the napkin and rub it across the grid. now i havent used my castiron in the egg in years, just the stainless grid for me also, the cast iron just seems to be overrated with the searing heat we can get out of the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bamafan62
    Options
         Thank you very much.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I've been using my cast iron grate in my small for 12 years now and haven't died or gotten sick yet. I just knock off any loose residual and fire it up. If for some reason there is a bigger buildup then I use this plumber's pipe brush. While it just cleans the sides of two grill ribs at a time it works great! The brush is very stiff and made of stainless steel.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    RRP said:
    I've been using my cast iron grate in my small for 12 years now and haven't died or gotten sick yet. I just knock off any loose residual and fire it up. If for some reason there is a bigger buildup then I use this plumber's pipe brush. While it just cleans the sides of two grill ribs at a time it works great! The brush is very stiff and made of stainless steel.

Lots of stories about the wire ending up in peoples stomachs. Please be careful.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.