Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flavor From Drippings Smoke (Huh ?)

Options
The only real 'BBQ nugget' in APL's Serious Barbecue book, besides the obvious marinade-rub-sauce-glaze cycle used for everything is a comment that the drippings during the cook that fall onto the hot coals make a smoke that enhances the flavor of the meat. Huh? But I don't see that topic here anywhere. Maybe only Stike if he were still around would/could explain. I've had a few fellow amateur BBQers make comments along this line. I've definitely noticed it at times, too, but wouldn't say it was always a plus so have not pursued or developed it as a tactic. If it's true then would you not want to somehow channel your pork butt or brisket drippings onto the hot coals to make them more flavorful? And wouldn't you want your steaks and burgers to be fatty enough over a hot enough fire to result in significant smoke generated to flavor the meat the short time it is on the grill, etc. 

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The sections of Modernist Cuisine which deal with grilling/BBQ/smoking say the same thing. My recollection is that a number of flavor compounds are attributed to smoke, but I don't recall reading what flavors come from the burning fat.

The down side is that along w. the flavor chemicals, one also gets carcinogenic stuff. The upside is that fat consumption is more likely to cause disease than the Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons from burning or frying fat.

I suspect that channeling the fat and drippings onto the coals might end up making some nasty smoke. The fat might not burn right away, the drippings would steam, and the coals would get cooler and release more soot. Drops here and there would give a different effect.

Myself, I grill and fry enough stuff that I'm willing to sacrifice a little flavor from burning fat. The flavor from spices, smoke, and Maillard reactions satisfys me.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    No idea what it says in the APL Serious BBQ book, but I think the whole flavor thing on a gasser is due to drippings hitting the vaporizer shield. There is no flavor added by the burning of gas or propane to speak of. 
    An indirect cook on an egg adds smoke flavor from the burning fuel, smoke wood and the other techniques (marinade/rub/glaze). 
    Chicken done by NEOs raised direct will have some drippings, but as often noted on here, some find it nasty tasting - often due to too much fat dripping onto the not hot enough lump. The suggested solution is usually to try it indirect and almost always the results are much better. Once you get the trim of the meat and the temp right, raised direct is preferred by many. 
    @gdenby says it all "I suspect that channeling the fat and drippings onto the coals might end up making some nasty smoke. The fat might not burn right away, the drippings would steam, and the coals would get cooler and release more soot. Drops here and there would give a different effect."
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Dang-the above comments are getting too high-tech for me.  I do know that some meat drippings produce a much better smoke flavor than others (beef vs chicken for instance).  But with enough supervisory adult beverages you can get to the point where "it's all good".  :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i like the drippings burning on the lump for somethings. chicken parts especially, have done pork butts direct and liked the results.i usually cook spares direct as well. leg of lamb i some times toss right into a red hot fire for the initial sear. somethings i dont like, a PRIME prime rib is way too fatty for a direct cook to me, probably why i would rather have a ribeye steak choice verse prime. a taller egg would be benificial to me, something where i can get the meat 24 to 30 inches above the fire, i think the distance from the lump makes all the difference with certian cooks and the way the fatty smoke works it way onto the meat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    APL also suggests soaking your wood chips.  So there's that.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited December 2013
    Options
    It is true! I posted my thoughts yesterday on a thread asking about the drip pan on the plate setter.
     I have been cooking on an egg since 1985 and I have always,I mean always  cooked chickens and turkey breasts,ribs,etc... direct either on the grate or in a v rack. I feel the drip pan issue with a plate setter is really not best for my taste buds. The drippings do make smoke but it has always been good. Birds are always juicy along with any other cuts of meat. I cooked a chicken indirect with the plate setter  this weekend.and was not really impressed. I will only use the plate setter when I cook pizza to get high up in the dome. But for me ,,Im going back letting drippings fall and burn on the coals. This was how we began back in 85 before such a thing as a plate setter and a drip pan. Usually stuff cloves of garlic under the skin along with rosemary sprigs and give the bird a light coating of olive oil,,,or sometimes not..
    Let the juices flow and dont go indirect and you will have the best egg taste ever !!!!!!.

Hey try it!! chickens are cheap!
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Where's @Mickey to tell us the right way to do poultry? Raised Direct 400*. High enough above the fire so it doesn't burn, but the drippings will smoke.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    DMW said:
    Where's @Mickey to tell us the right way to do poultry? Raised Direct 400*. High enough above the fire so it doesn't burn, but the drippings will smoke.

I sure as hell cant say it any better my friend.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ringkingpin
    Options
    Well I agree with LaserDoc and Mickey too I guess.  I do a LOT of thing direct, including chicken.  I'm also a fan of keeping my birds whole, not spatcocking.   I did a spatcock chicken twice and didn't see see the benefit.  If I want it to cook faster, I just butcher it in half or in 8 pieces but 90% of the time or more, I just leave it whole and on it's back, never on the breast. 
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Like I said and Mickey said. Go direct and don't look back ! I do it at 325 dome temp. Takes about an hour and a half for a whole fryer. Ain't nothing better!
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Maybe my taste buds are different, but I do not like the drippings from poultry (whole birds or pieces) to fall on the coals and burn.  To me it imparts a greasy taste to the meat, so I cook these indirect.  For a quick cook like steaks it is not an issue for me.  
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY