Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fence's "Famous" Chili

Options
fence0407
fence0407 Posts: 2,237
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
Got a new Dutch Oven for Christmas, so I decided to try out my "famous" chili recipe on the Egg. Here is the recipe for those who are interested:

Fence's "Famous" Chili
1lb ground beef (ground turkey can be used as a substitute)
1 packet medium chili seasoning (substitute mild or hot based on preference)
Half onion, chopped
2 cans tomato sauce, 8oz
1 can Rotel (Original, Mild or Hot based on preference)
1 small can of yellow corn
1 can pinto beans (I usually only use about half the can - or can be omitted if not a bean fan - based on preference)
Garlic Salt

Directions:
Set up Egg for indirect heat with plate setter, legs up at 350 degrees. Brown ground beef on stove top with chopped onion. Combine all other ingredients in DO. Strain ground beef/onion and add to the DO. Mix together all ingredients thoroughly. The key to this recipe is the garlic salt. Shake a white layer of the garlic salt into the DO for initial flavoring. More garlic salt can be added after the DO comes off the Egg - just taste test!

Place the DO (no lid!) on the plate setter or grill grate and let cook for 20-40 minutes, stirring periodically. Remove DO from Egg and add garlic salt if needed. We usually serve in bowls with shredded cheese on top, and tortilla chips to scoop. If you prefer a hotter tasting chili, I would suggest using Hot Rotel and hot chili seasoning and maybe add some crushed red pepper. This recipe can be doubled to accommodate a larger crowd. 

Here is a picture of my chili just before coming off of the Egg. Give it a try and let me know how it turns out!

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Looks good. I've got some cubed brisket flat ready ...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fence0407
    Options
    Oh I bet that would taste great!
    Cumming, GA  

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Im curious, does doing this on the egg make much of a difference?
    Gittin' there...
  • fence0407
    Options
    This was my first attempt at making this on the Egg. I didn't really notice too much of a difference between the stove top and the Egg. However, I've seen other people use different woods for more of a smoke flavor. I probably won't fire the Egg up specifically to make this chili (although I'm always looking for an excuse to fire it up!).
    Cumming, GA  

• oakdaleegger
    Options

Everything on the egg is better.
    Plus it's just cool to tell people that you made chili on your BGE!!!

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I would brown the meat in the DO first, then add the onions and peppers of your choice in the DO " All on the Egg" using your smoke wood of choice. This will impart the smoke into the chili. Take a quick look at Egret's directions for his Cow Lick'n chili to get a sense of the process.

I like the taste that this adds to the dish.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX