Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making Bacon Questions

Options
 I just got the A-maze-n-smoker  and have been researching on the internet about curing and smoking pork belles Im a little confused here some say to smoke at 200 degrees others say to put in oven at 200 I was under the impression that Bacon was cold smoked any body that has experience doing this please help me out with this any help would be appreciated 
2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
Long Island N.Y.

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Cold smoke & hot smoke are 2 techniquest. I have done hot smoke with great results and am curing now to try cold smoke.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    edited December 2013
    Options

I have used the AMS numerous times to cold smoke.  Just follow your recipe to cure the bacon, rinse it off and let it sit overnight in the fridge, uncovered, to form a pellicle and then cold smoke.  I usually let mine smoke overnight and use a full pellet tray but it's up to you on the level of smoke.  Once it's done all you need to do is cook and enjoy.

When you smoke at 200 you are hot smoking the bacon which cooks it and your aim is to get to about 145-150.  When you do it this way you can eat without pan cooking since it is cooked but it won't rendered and crispy obviously.  Cold smoking creates a different texture in the cooked bacon and I tend to prefer it but both are good.  

• Looper
    Looper Posts: 44
    Options

The recipe for maple bacon in Charcuterie is excellent.  It calls for hot smoking - which yields delicious results.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Looper said:

The recipe for maple bacon in Charcuterie is excellent.  It calls for hot smoking - which yields delicious results.

You can also use the same recipe and cold smoke it.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    Looper do you happen to have that recipe and would you share it with me please 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I have the same recipe in cold smoke right now. And I mean cold below zero.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    Little Steven can you share the recipe please 

Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Charles,

Somebody e-mailed it to me and I've been looking through the e-mails from that time frame. I've looked for a few minutes now and haven't found the one. I'll keep looking but it is Rhulman's maple bacon if you want to search it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    @Little Steven thanks I found it here it the recipe

—Mix the following together in a small bowl:

2 ounces (1/4 cup Morton or Diamond Crystal coarse kosher) salt

2 teaspoons pink curing salt #1 (I use this DQ Cure from Butcher-Packer, $2)

4 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper

4 bay leaves, crumbled

1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1/4 cup brown sugar or honey or maple syrup

5 cloves of garlic, smashed with the flat side of a chef’s knife

2 tablespoons juniper berries, lightly crushed (optional)

5 to 10 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)

Long Island N.Y.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    Little Steven that recipe is for 5 lb pork belly 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Charles, That isn't the one I used. I still can't find it and there is no easy way to look. I don't think the seasonings are too important. It's the amount of nitrite in the cure vs salt. We don't get "pink salt " here. We only get a product called ready-cure. It is a one percent nitrite. After trying to calculate the balance of the salt to the nitrite I realised that the ready-cure is the right balance out of the bag. It was just brown sugar and maple syrup after that. I don't know how it turned out but I'm gonna fry up a piece in a couple of hours when it comes off the egg. I'll let you know

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    my grandfather would just cover with salt/pepper and hang it in the smoke house.  He would then keep the little pot-belly stove smoking for 7-10 days. smoke house would be about 120 to 180.  Then it would hang in the smokehouse until it was time for breakfast,  He would do a bunch of these at one time usually 2-4 hogs worth :)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    my grandfather would just cover with salt/pepper and hang it in the smoke house.  He would then keep the little pot-belly stove smoking for 7-10 days. smoke house would be about 120 to 180.  Then it would hang in the smokehouse until it was time for breakfast,  He would do a bunch of these at one time usually 2-4 hogs worth :)
    We do complicate things that were once simple don't we?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Does the maple syrup quality make a difference?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Little Steven   thank you but I think that I'm going to go with this recipe it sounds good to me   I will in fact omit the  juniper berries  and will not use the maple syrup I will go with the brown sugar and let it set in the fridge for seven days and then introduce it to my Egg with I think apple wood smoke for however the A-Maze-n-smoker last then I will be eating I hope some great Bacon but if you find your recipe please send it on I will try that also 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I can't imagine it does. I had planned on using just maple sugar flakes. I have New Brunswick maple syrup that a friend sent me years ago and used that instead.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Charles, That isn't the one I used. I still can't find it and there is no easy way to look. I don't think the seasonings are too important. It's the amount of nitrite in the cure vs salt. We don't get "pink salt " here. We only get a product called ready-cure. It is a one percent nitrite. After trying to calculate the balance of the salt to the nitrite I realised that the ready-cure is the right balance out of the bag. It was just brown sugar and maple syrup after that. I don't know how it turned out but I'm gonna fry up a piece in a couple of hours when it comes off the egg. I'll let you know

Good to know Readycure is good to go as is for bacon. I have a bag of it but I've been too chicken to try it. I want to use it for Montreal smoked meat and sausages. Not sure how the ratios go for those though.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Hey,

There was a smoked meat recipe here that a guy swore was identical to Shwartz's. I didn't try it but I might have saved it. Arithmetic has never been my best subject but the Rhulman's recipe and the ready-cure are within like a percent of each other. Calculate it yourself but it's like Mr. oneeyedguru said.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    @littlesteven. Damn, I was hoping math was your thing because its sure as hell not mine. Hence my reluctance to try ready-cure. I agree about how we make it hard. My dad and grandfather used to butcher all their own hogs, smoke it all for winter etc. We are losing too many skills these days.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    The ready cure gives you the amount per pound/kilo on the bag. After all my trying to figure it out I thought....come on man! People have been curing meats for tens of thousands of years and I doubt they were so fussy. I don't follow recipes in cooking and went way over my game to do this stuff. I can make my own seasonings but I don't want to make anyone sick. End of the day, the ready cure seems simpler to me than the pink salt. I now have some really expensive pink salt that I got at Williams Sonoma when I was Christmas shopping. I like Ready Cure

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

4 bay leaves, crumbled

This is very similar to what I use. I do not add the garlic or juniper berries. The garlic was way too strong for my taste (and I love garlic) and I didn't have Juniper berries the first time I made it so I just leave them out still. you are on the right track so go for it and enjoy

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Options

4 bay leaves, crumbled

This is very similar to what I use. I do not add the garlic or juniper berries. The garlic was way too strong for my taste (and I love garlic) and I didn't have Juniper berries the first time I made it so I just leave them out still. you are on the right track so go for it and enjoy

4 bay leaves, crumbled

OMG...I just insulted you on another thread. I feel terrible

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker  As far as I'm concerned their is no such thing as to much Garlic I love love love love did I mention I love garlic but that being said  you said you love it also and u felt  it was too strong so maybe I will cut back  on the amount of Garlic ,now my Question for you is did you cold smoke it if so what kind of wood and for how long did you smoke it for 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

4 bay leaves, crumbled

4 bay leaves, crumbled

OMG...I just insulted you on another thread. I feel terrible
    that was a Canadian insult. They do not even register down here. That's the nicest thing anyone has said about me all day.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I'm lost here what are you talking about (Canadian insult) please explain 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options

4 bay leaves, crumbled

I used this recipe too. I too love garlic. I will probably end up throwing out the bacon. With that much garlic it is horrible.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    shtgunal3 well being now that the consensus is that the garlic was too much I think that I will leave it out thanks for sharing you thoughts I would hate to make this and do all the prep work and seven days of curing to have to throw it out !!
    Long Island N.Y.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    Yeah mine sucked. I tried blanching and that helped but it still didn't taste good.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Little Steven and @gmac
    I was at Canada Compound (manufacturer of Ready Cure) 'open to public' store in Woodbridge recently and asked the salesperson how to substitute pink salt with Ready Cure. I may be over simplifying but what I understood is: follow the recommended dosage on the package and ignore the salt called for in the recipe since RC is mostly salt. I'm not making bacon anytime soon so please experiment and let me know!
    canuckland
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    Cold smoke is always the way to go. I'm in the process if doing a vanilla bourbon recipe . My vanilla beans are sitting in a big old jar or sugar. I then will make a syrup out of the sugar and the bourbon and ad my pink salt and kosher salt and cure it for a week. It then goes into the smoker with sugar maple pellets.
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg