Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting a Butt?

Options
I've done quite a few Butts on the Egg. But, I've never taken one more than a few minutes down the road. i have two 8 lb butts on now and they should finish by lunchtime tomorrow. I'm meeting family in North GA at a cabin tomorrow evening and we're eating pulled pork for dinner. I know to FTC. But, how long can I do that and not lose any quality in the cook? Also, I have a Yeti cooler I wanted to take beer in. I normally FTC in an old, cheap Igloo Cube cooler. Should I use the Yeti if the meat will be in there for over 3-4 hours? If the meat temp does fall, i suppose just put the whole butt in foil in the oven? What temp would I warm it back up to before pulling?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    I don't have my "good" cooler any more as it was apprehended at a party a summer or two ago.  I have not had any problem with using a Igloo just wrap the butts in 2-4 layers of Heavy duty foil or 3-6 layers of standard foil and then putt towels in to fill the rest of the space in the cooler.  I've done this for 6-7 hours and been just fine, meat still 165* plus when taken out of cooler.  If you are really worried about it, put the towels in the dryer to warm them up before stuffing the cooler. 

Good luck and have a fun weekend!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mckeanksu
    Options
    I did this once and kept it wrapped for 5 hours. As long as you keep it whole and chop/pull once you are ready to eat, it will be fine. Good luck!
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Use your Yeti for the meat. I FTC'd a butt in my Pelican two weeks ago. Still steaming hot after 6 hours.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life