Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Chuckie Question

Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 7,951
I have cooked plenty of chuckies with good results but always foil around 160 and cook to 200-210 and get a great pull normally. Is there anybody that doesn't foil and are there any advantages?? I have a 3 1/2lber I am doin on Sat and just a wondering if changing anything would make it better. This will be for pulled beef sammi's and leftovers will go in the veggi soup.

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,508
    I have not had good luck with a chuck roast unwrapped. Maybe if it is thick enough…but for me it is one of those cuts that just needs a little braising. A good way to get a little more bark flavor is to cook a bot hotter (like 275) take the meat to 175 or so before you wrap. 
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 7,951
    Thank you Chris. That was kinda my thought too but if you ain't askin you ain't learnin!!

• totally agree with Nature Boy. I've tried a few with no braise and they just weren't right. The Clay Q method (I think that is on dizzypigbbq.com site) is a great start. I do it a little differently but the technique is generally the same. the braise is what makes the difference with chuckies
    1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
    @Cen-Tex - that recipe looks really good. What kinda of changes did you make?

• The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 17,339
    edited December 2013
    I generally do this: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145985/barbacoa-chuckie-a-la-centex/p1..... if you are after bbq- do clay's.
    1- LGBE
    Yours looks great!!! I think I might try to separate into 2 chunks when it gets to the braising point. I will braise one with beef stock to use in soups at a later time and the other half will go for BBQ sammis.

• the technique is very similar- The spices are the main difference. smoky beef stock could be really good. Might be nice to use some of the drippings in that but they can be really smoky and salty so go easy on it
    1- LGBE