Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First-Ever Turkey: Mad-Max Method on Christmas Day with Pics

Options

I cooked a 19.5 pound turkey on Christmas using the Mad Max Method.  I followed it pretty much to the letter and the turkey was fantastic. I started my stock on Christmas Eve and the house smelled wonderful all day.  I test fit the roasting pan and used some 3/4-10 stainless hex nuts as spacers between the plate setter and the roasting pan and it was a perfect fit.  I started with a full load of lump, and one good chunk of apple wood.  I started the fire at 7:00 AM on Christmas morning and let the temp come up to 325 with clear smoke and put the bird on at 8:00

After a big breakfast with family we opened gifts and to my great pleasure, one of my gifts was a Thermapen!  It turned out to be most beneficial because at 3 hours and 45 minutes into what I thought was going to be a 4 to 5 hour cook, after the bird had been tented with foil for about an hour, we used my new Thermapen to test the temps and lo and behold, the breasts were at 160 and the thighs were at 180. (Yes, the ice cubes on the breasts works!)  I pulled the bird and started on the gravy while my wife started warming casseroles, etc.  We carved the bird and enjoyed a wonderful meal about an hour after I took the bird off the Egg.  I had three guests ask if they could take some turkey home with them and I took that as a high compliment. 

I think the only things I will do differently on the next turkey is to use fewer herbs in the stock and bird cavity, and even less wine in the gravy.  I saw some posts that said to use less wine, so I did.  I thought it was very good, but I had a comment or two that it was a bit strong.

Men of integrity expect to be believed, but when they aren't, they allow time to prove them right.

Comments