Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help…5 lbs brisket…dinner at 6 pm (Sunday)

Options
Wino
Wino Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing my first brisket for Sunday dinner. My wife has invited a few guests now. She figures that everything else I have done on the egg has been terrific. Now the pressure is on. How long per pound should I expect? My brisket is 5 ½ lbs. I know I can keep the fire at 230 with no problem. Do I do an over night or get up at 6 am and get things rolling. I would like to have free grill space to do a pizza for an appetizer then corn. So I am looking to put it in the cooler no later than 3 pm.
Thanks
Wino

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mornin' Wino
    The time it takes depends lot on the bisket....the thickness as well as the grade of meat. Select cuts take noticibly longer that choice or prime.[p]If you are cooking at 215-220 at the grate level (which, for me, is around 260-270 dome at the beginning, then 225-230 dome toward the end, I am thinkin 11-12 hours would be a good bet. I would try and have it on the cooker at 3am. Just me though, as I know some good cooks who would put it on at 5-6am and cook it a bit hotter.[p]I am sure some others will chime in. Just some mornin' thoughts! Have fun. It's butts goin' on my cooker tonight! Happy weekend!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wino
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks Chris. I got it at Whole Foods so I know it is Select. I was looking at the recipe on your web page for advice. That is what led me to look for time advice here. Need to run over to BGE and pick up some Cow Lick for it. I am running a bit low. Looking forward to it. I guess I will be getting up a tad early to put it on. At least that way I can still run to the gym in the morning and get a work out in before the afternoon feast. Will feel better that way.
    Cold ones to you and your butt.
    Wino

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Wino,[p]I am going to follow Naytch's advice as well for my sam's purchased 5.7 pound brisket to cook tomorrow morning EARLY. Either that or late late tonight. [p]
  • Wino
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Been thinking about that. Now I am thinking of starting it around 1 am. That way I can be sure that is done in plenty of time. Put it in the cooler around 1 pm, then start drinking. I will be using the WGC I got from you. Again a big thanks for that. How long per pound do you count on? 2 hours.
    Wino

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Wino,
    It won't hurt at all to start at 1am. Once you get into the plateau (160-170) you can always slow things down a bit if it seems to be moving to quickly. A select brisket can only benefit from more breakdown time. Just enough heat to keep you in that range will doya. [p]Make sure and keep a close eye on your cooking level temps if you want to know the real story! Have a blast. Eaten don't git much betta than a lowslowed chunk-o-chest.[p]Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I have not done a brisket since April, and I kinda miss it. Good to hear the Backer famdamily is cookin up a storm. Hope yall have a great weekend![p]Naytch

DizzyPigBBQ.com