Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning an enameled dutch oven?

I have let it soak for a while but this junk is putting up a fight.  I don't want to scratch the enamel, any thoughts that might make this more manageable? image
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Never had that problem with mine, but for other caked on gunk, I've filled with water and let it simmer for a while on the stove.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • glc203
    glc203 Posts: 45
    Might consider a gentle oven cleaner.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Get some Bar Keepers Friend. It is a weak acid(oxalic acid) that is safe on the enamel. Le Creuset makes a solution that is also acidic, but about 3x more expensive. You can find BKF at most grocery stores, Target, or Wally world.

You can also soak it overnight in soapy water and use some elbow grease tomorrow.
  • you could put white vinegar in the pot and let it soak for a while that helps don't know why maybe the acid in the vinegar but it worked in mine when SWMBO burnet preserves I think orange but the vinegar helped me 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I have reasonably good luck soaking in white vinegar before scrubbing. I don't notice any scratching if I use plastic scrub pads to loosen the burnt stuff.

On heavily scratched enamel, I've had good results using "magic erasers" at the end, which removes almost all stain from the enamel. It is also OK to use bleach, which the enamel resists.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    thanks guys
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Pat it dry, pour in some veg oil, pour in a generous portion of sea salt, and scrub the salt around with a paper towel.  Repeat as needed.  The salt is coarse enough to scrap and absorb the food, but won't scratch the enamel.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Pat it dry, pour in some veg oil, pour in a generous portion of sea salt, and scrub the salt around with a paper towel.  Repeat as needed.  The salt is coarse enough to scrap and absorb the food, but won't scratch the enamel.

^^^this^^^ I add baking soda too for a nice paste
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Soak in dishwasher liquid diluted in water overnight. Use Bar Kepers' Friend to finish off. But, man, that's nasty. I've never had it that bad. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    jlsm said:
    Soak in dishwasher liquid diluted in water overnight. Use Bar Kepers' Friend to finish off. But, man, that's nasty. I've never had it that bad. 

Yeah, cochon de lait that went really really wrong, lol
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I have a nice collection of Le Creuset that my husband has given me. I never use it on the egg because he would be heartbroken if something went wrong (this has been a subject of much discussion here, and many people do use it on the egg). He gave me another piece today with a Shun knife.

Do try the dishwasher soap. It works very well.

Merry Christmas all.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia