Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

What's the best rub/ marinade for brisket and why?

bigearlbigearl Posts: 25
edited December 2013 in Sauces, Rubs, Marinades
What's the best rub/ marinade for brisket and why?
huh?

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 7,445
    Sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper, little onion salt... Rub liberally and them use oak for smoke.
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 663
    hapster said:
    Sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper, little onion salt... Rub liberally and them use oak for smoke.
    +1.  Keep it simple.  Salt and pepper seems to be the best rub from my experience.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

• smokeyjsmokeyj Posts: 338
    I keep wanting to try salt and pepper but I end using Texas BBQ rubs every time. Trying grand champion on a brisket for the first time on the basket I have cooking right now.
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 21,872
    im no brisket purist. i coat the brisket with a cup of white sugar and wrap in syran wrap for 2 hours. then wipe off the sugar and apply salt and pepper or a pepper style rub like lysanders spiceey bourbon, apply the pepper liberally. i get a better bark with the initial dose of sugar. dont leave the sugar on there, wipe it off 
  • smokeyj said:
    I keep wanting to try salt and pepper but I end using Texas BBQ rubs every time. Trying grand champion on a brisket for the first time on the basket I have cooking right now.
    +1 for Texas BBQ Rub.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• GQuizGQuiz Posts: 699
    Bad Byron's is good on seemingly everything. I've used mayonnaise or mustard as the base. Always tasty.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • glc203glc203 Posts: 41
    Big fan of Texas BBQ rubs (texasbbqrub.com). The brisket rub is pretty low sugar with a good mix of spice.
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Went to salt-n-peppa. Never looked back
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• billyraybillyray Posts: 1,144
    Another vote for Texas BBQ rubs
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
  • I know it's not traditional, but I really love DP Raising the Steaks on brisket.

I read somewhere that as long as you don't use brown sugar or paprika you'll be safe from the Texas Brisket Purist Mafia.
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 13,791
    grege345 said:

Went to salt-n-peppa. Never looked back

Once you go salt and pepa, you never go back
  • AcornAcorn Posts: 163
    we just went back to 1988, high school & my I-ROC!!!!!
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • hapster said:
    @hapster - Do you still agree with this or do you have something else to try?
  • AcnAcn Posts: 2,275
    Oakridge's Black Ops Brisket Rub is phenomenal on any large cut of cow (brisket, chuck roast, ribs, etc)

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 9,583
    I would tell you but then I'd have to kill you. 
  • Tried many, but use Pepper & Salt (2/1 by volume).  AF does the same so....

Think Globally, Act Locally, Commit Personally!

Annapolis, MD (LBGE on the Chesapeake)
    Solitude, USVI (XLBGE @ 17.752299, -64.630063)

Egghead since 1975

• SimcanSimcan Posts: 230

I used a recipe from Smoke It Like A Pro with a recent cook that was delicious.  Basically a beer, some ACV, worchestershire, water, oil, cayenne, rub, salt and pepper, if I remember correctly.  Not a marinade, but I used a couple of cups during the crutch and when it was done drained it and the rendered juices, defatted, and used that for my burnt ends.

Amazing. 

If you are interested and can't find it I am happy to post the whole recipe.

• ToddskiToddski Posts: 26
    I use cowlick from dizzy pig
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 9,042
    I'm a plowboys bovine bold guy. Butchers pre brisket injection 
  • BugFreak72BugFreak72 Posts: 22
    John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub here. Great stuff.