Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Quick Butt Question???

So I just picked up a 7lb butt from the Fresh Market and it has the mesh netting around it. Should I remove it and cook it like I normally do or can I leave it in place?
Thanks Jeff 
Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,528
    I'd remove it and hope its not holding a number of smaller pieces together.  If you remove after the cook, you will lose a lot of the bark. 
  • That is exactly what I was thinking. I opened it up and it was not to bad. It is more long and skinny instead of a fat piece of meat. It also looks like it has had most of its fat trimmed. O well to late to get another. I usually get a big one and they have to open a new one and just give it to me untrimmed. 
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,688
    Be sure and check for the plastic round desk on the bottom protecting the bone.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Hey Mickey 

I have always done boneless Butts. Is there any reason I should go BONE IN??

• tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 9,209
    Bone = FLAVOR!

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Good to know I will try one next time. 
  • I just noticed you are from Thomasville NC. Its nice to hear from someone local. Where do you get your meat from, are there any good butcher that you have found?
  • Bone = FLAVOR!
    I just noticed you are from Thomasville NC. Its nice to hear from someone local. Where do you get your meat from, are there any good butcher that you have found?