Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First turkey planned for Christmas Day - Advice needed

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
edited December 2013 in Poultry
I'm not a big fan of turkey but my family is so I'm going to do a bird on Christmas day.  Of course I'm doing it on the Egg because at least I'll get to enjoy cooking it.
But, I need some advice.  The bird is 3.6 kg, about 8 lbs so not a big one.  I'm considering just doing it on the BGE chicken stand.  I've had good luck with that approach with chickens about the same size or a touch smaller.  But, is breast up like that a good idea with turkey that I've always found to be much drier?  My chickens are also home-reared so a 7 or 8 lb bird is pretty fatty so they don't dry out too bad.

I'm thinking I'll do an overnight brine and then rub it down with Mickey's Coffee Rub (I could only find Nescafe Instant Espresso, hope its OK - says it leaves a creamy head so I'm wondering what else is in there besides coffee but it says espresso, not capuccino (sp?) so we will see).  But, I keep seeing lots of references to spatchcocking which, although fun to say, I'm not as experienced with.  I know how to do it, just don't do it often.  Then, I see references to something called Mad Max turkey, not sure what that is either but I've gathered it uses ice.  

So, please give me your advice.
Thanks

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• plumbfir01
    Options
    brine
    mickeys rub
    spatchcocked direct raised... thermapen checks and easy money
    Beaufort, SC
  • gmac
    Options
    Dumb question but how do you do raised direct?  

I have a place setter so anytime I do anything raised, it's automatically indirect.  How do you guys raise your grate above the fire ring?  If there is a special grate required, I don't have that yet but an adjustable rig of some sort is on the list for the New Year.  I'm cheap so I'll probably build something myself but no time between now and Christmas Day.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @gmac-plenty of time to get geared up for "raised grid"-direct.  Just pound three canned beers, save the empty cans.  Place them on the fire ring with about 120*F separation between each and put your grid on top.  Works just fine.  The food weight on the grid will keep things quite stable.  Not into beer-get a couple of fire bricks and do the same thing.  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gmac
    Options
    Any guesses on how long a bird would take spatchcocked and done raised direct as mentioned?  I'm assuming 350 or so for temp? 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Hopefully @Mickey (the spatchcock turkey eggspert) will be along but at 350*F on the dome I'm thinking  around 60-75 mins to 160 in the breast and 180+ in the thighs for your 8# bird.  YMMV-
    Here's a link to the Mad Max turkey-most of his "work" is involved with the gravy.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#chicken 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Boy I wished I could buy 8 lb turkeys. Best I can find (and cook) is 8 lb. like the little turkeys.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gmac
    Options
    Thanks all.  I wasn't going to even add chips given that I've read some comments that smoke can overwhelm poultry rather quickly.  If anything, I'd add a 1/2 in, 3X3 inch triangle of fresh apple from the tree that was just cut down. We split it up pretty small and now I'm just slicing off pieces as needed.
    We are doing a small turkey because it's not my favourite and usually the kids have eaten so much on Christmas day that they don't eat much dinner anyway.  Small family, just my Mom left on my side so we don't need a big turkey.   
  • Mickey
    Options
    Small turkeys are the best (IMO).

• plumbfir01
    Options
    yes smoke can overwhelm poulty very very easily! just ask SWIMBO here L-)
    Beaufort, SC
  • gmac
    Options
    Way over cooked it. Went much faster than I expected. But since there are no pictures, it didn't happen so no one can say I screwed it up.