Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms

This was a Bobbly Flay recipe: Portabello mushrooms stuffed with Italian sausage, spinach, onion, garlic and red wine then topped with mozzarella, tomato and basil.

They were good but not great. The mushrooms have a lot of water that comes out when you cut them and I found that to dilute the flavor...not sure if there is a trick to avoid that?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• I'm glad you started this as my wife just bought portobellos and is wanting to grill them as well.
    I guess I need to look in the appetizer section here as well. Good luck on your next attempt.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Those look really good. I wonder if after you remove the brown veining if you covered with salt for an hour or so if it would help pull the moisture out ?? I do this with eggplant and it really helps.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Never tried that @Mattnan3969, I'll give it a try.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    First, scrape out the gills. Next, cook them empty, gill side down, until almost  done, not just a few minutes. Stuff them (make sure the stuffing is room temp) and finish cooking to melt the cheese and warm the stuffing.

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • I second scraping out the gills and the cooking method. 

While they are cooking on the gill side down, I mix tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, salt, pepper, and olive oil together in a separate bowl…when they are almost done, flip them and top with the tomato mixture and cook until the cheese melts. If you want to get a little flare after they are done top with some grated cheese and hit with a torch or put the under the broiler for a few until the cheese melts and is slightly browned and crispy.